• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2 cords on fan?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fragile-x

Registered
anyone know why my new fan (check specs) has 2 cords coming out...the usually lead to the mobo like on my amd stock fan...and another one going to the big power supply cord.....

i think the small one is for monitoring the rpms (through your mobo) and the big one is for the power. that way, your fan isn't sucking power through the mobo.

ah

that makes sense...any way to decrease rpm's on this noise machine?

if you give the make/model of your fan, im sure someone can help you out. it should work with most fan controllers, but if it is a real monster, you may need to get a better one theres another thread somewhere asking a similar question

i think its called enermax fan controller and vantec tornado

One that is powerful enough for whatever fan it is...

Some fan controllers tell you how many watts per channel, so lets say it's 20watts per channel (like This one).
You could put 2 or 3 lower wattage fans on one channel if you wanted before you got problems (like 3 4w fans would give you 12w and some room to work with just in case), or put one of almost any 12v fan on there. I think this one is a litte more robust than some and if you don't get a good one you could blow the channel if you put a fan like one of these Deltas (or a vantec tornado maybe) on there - 10w for the 80mm delta:eek: Most fans are around 2-4 depending on how many RPM they do. I would get one of those sunbeam ones if you didn't want to make one (which isn't too hard - just a few of These slapped onto a drive panel with some knobs and some fan connectors and you are set). Unless maybe you are a sucker for looks and then the nexus one isn't too bad from what I hear.

Also the 7v mod isn't too hard, you could even put a switch together, some diagrams can be found here for that (there are some better ones somwhere around but I can't find 'em, I think they are from some baybus site, if anyone wants to chime in...).

ok

so archilochus can puting in a reostat be dangerous to the CPU...does it go all the way to 0 power....or is there a limit to how much it decreases the power to the fan?

can i take one of my case fans out and use it on my heatsink (80mm i think)...then use the 92mm as a case fan with a reostat?

are fans interchangeable (case to heatsink i mean)

Re: ok

Fragile-x said:
so archilochus can puting in a reostat be dangerous to the CPU...does it go all the way to 0 power....or is there a limit to how much it decreases the power to the fan?

can i take one of my case fans out and use it on my heatsink (80mm i think)...then use the 92mm as a case fan with a reostat?

are fans interchangeable (case to heatsink i mean)

Like Ritalin said they usualy go from about 7v to 12v (full power) but it all depends on the what you get. You would have to look at the paricular one you get.

Depending on your HS the fans are interchangable, obviously it has to fit but if it does then yes. In your case you could put an 80mm on the HS and if your case will fit a 92mm where you want to put it then you could put that there on a reostat...

Back