• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking Woes, please help?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shthap3ns

So, after countless amounts of searching through these forums and reading through guides and suggestions, I finally took action and overclocked my computer. Currently I'm running:

Barton 2500+ @ 2.08 Ghz
512 MB DDR400 Corsair RAM
Abit NF7-M mobo
Radeon 9800np
Thermalright SLK-800U heatsink w/ arctic silver 5

I just bought the heatsink recently, and it works great, btw. Before I installed it I was using stock fan and heatsink, and my temps hovered over 50C most of the time, which I know is pretty high. Now with the new heatsink and a thermaltake smartfan II i'm getting temps on idle at around 32C and 38C on load. I've got the system running stable at these temps at 2.08ghz (180x11.5). I ran Prime95 for 24 hours without any problems.

Here are my problem/questions:

1. If I set my FSB at 200mhz and turn down the multiplier, I get system crashes whenever I run any 3D program (3dmark, counter-strike, any 3d-game). The computer reboots itself automatically. Even at a low multiplier, say 200x9, I still get reboots. I want to run at 3200+ speeds with a 200mhz FSB, but I don't know what the problem is. Also, is there a difference from say, 200x11, and something like 180x12.5? Would the 200mhz fsb be faster?

2. For NF7 owners, or anyone that might know, is there a PCI-lock option in the BIOS? I can't seem to find it, and I read somewhere that although it's not in the BIOS, its by default enabled to lock the PCI bus at 33 mhz. Is this true, or is there no way to enable it?

Can anyone help a noob out? Much appreciated. :)

The NF7-M will not reach the same high fsb as the NF7-S.

I expect that the 180MHz fsb you have set will be close to the maximum for the your motherboard. Back off the fsb setting to around 173 but increase the multiplier and move up towards 180fsb again.

Back