• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

$400 to spend... what to get?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NiTrO bOiE

I'm going to try and build a system for under $400 and bribe my parents to let me get it. I need a CPU, Motherboard, Hard drive, memory (I already have 256 of PC2700 that can run at PC3200). Post some combos and suggestions for me. I've already messed around on newegg and the price hasnt even passed $300 yet.

Here's what I have so far:

2500+ Barton
NF7-S
WD 80GB 8MB Cache

Total: $258.99

Personally I would still go with a 2500+, because a higher multi means that its harder to push the FSB higher, and the 2800s only get slightly higher total OCs than the 2500s. If you are feeling adventerous you could try for a Mobile 2400+, they have a fairly high default multiplier IIRC, but have a stock FSB of 133(266), so they would be fairly hard to push to 200. However, as far as I know they are still unlocked, so its possible that they will probably OC as well as a locked 2500, and maybe as good/better than an unlocked 2500. As for the memory, this is the cheapest 2x256 MB kit that uses the BH-5 chips, which OC very well, and are used in several other brands rated at 3500. Finally, you will probably want a new heatsink, the SP-97 is the best out there, but if you dont mind a slight temp increase, or are planning to use the mobile barton which runs alot cooler, the SLK-947U or SLK-900 are both solid heatsinks. The fan is pretty much whatever you can bear; if you only want a semi-quiet fan the 92mm panaflo's are good, and if you can tolerate a hair dryer in your case the 92mm tornado's are the best.

Why not look at small local stores, they don't sell as many chips. Maybe they still have some unlocked. Why not go for the v2.0 of the NF7. Suppose to be better.
What I do when I get stuff is to make trade-in deal with a local store. When I got my xp2500 I gave the shop my xp2000 they sliced the value of the xp2000 in half and draw it of the price of the xp2500.
Used parts can also be a way to save $$. Demo used stuff from are also available in some shops.
Here's an example from a Norwegian Onlineshop:

Asus A7N8X-X
Newprice:820NOK(121$)
Demoprice:520NOK(77$)

Back