• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

N-Bench3 Benchmark program????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dgk

I got this program following a link in someone's posting on an AMD newgroup. It is supposed to be a great benchmark program for NForce-2 boards. But when I go to install it it says that it should not be used in non-Asian areas. The ReadMe - completely in English, says:

[ About N-Bench ]
N-Bench is a Benchmark program that is capable of CPU performance and displaying 3D graphics. It consists of a "Demo mode" that plays back beautiful 3DCG movies and a "Benchmark mode" that measures CPU performance. Read this file carefully
before using N-Bench.

[ Special features of N-Bench Ver. 3.0 ]
* New 3DCG engine based on Microsoft(R) DirectX(R) 9.0 technology.
* All 3DCG, music, and special effects are renewed.
* "Speed Bench",measure the time to complete the task.
* Corresponds to 3DNow!(TM) Professional technology and SSE2 instruction of the Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4.
* 4 CPU benchmark test which is not influenced by the graphic performance.
* 4 3D benchmark test which work on XGA.

It then goes on to say this:
[ Regions where N-Bench can be used ]
The regions where N-Bench can be used are limited to Asia, including Japan, the Pacific area, Canada, and South America. Never use N-Bench in another area.

WT*? So I can use it in Canada but not the US? Is this just a licensing thing? Why should anyone care where you can use it? It isn't a wares thing clearly and certainly looks official AMD.

It's here http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=156

Anyone know the story?

Back