• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Reliable software temps and temp probe

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hafaphoto

I am having an odd problem with my computer. If I have had it off for a while, and start it, Winbound and Sisandra say it has an idle temp of 28 or so. If I shut it down and restart it, I get 38 degrees or so. I understand that software temp moniters are not very reliable, but a 10 degree difference worries me. I searched the site and found people put temp probes next to the CPU. I do not think I have the skills to do this, does anyone have any ideas on how I can monitor my temps?

Thanks for any and all help! And Merry Christmas!!!

E

I am having an odd problem with my computer. If I have had it off for a while, and start it, Winbound and Sisandra say it has an idle temp of 28 or so.

Hi, & Merry Christmas. When your computer has been off a while, it has a chance to cool down. So that's probably why your temp is 28 or so.

If I shut it down and restart it, I get 38 degrees or so.

Your computer has been running, so it has had time to warm up (doesn't take very long for it to warm up). Thus the 10 degree difference. And I see in your sig you have a NF7 mobo? The NF7 mobo's have a temp sensor right underneath the cpu socket (it's that little thing that sticks up out of the socket).

And don't worry about haveing a temp of 38, that's a good temp for it to be running at. No problem with a temp like that. So....you're cool (sorry.....couldn't resist :D ).

Thanks for the input

Thanks for the help, I am just worried about o/c speeds and temps. I can get around 2.5gz, but temps jump up a lot with the 1.9 vcore. I may have to look around and find someone who can put a probe by the CPU, so I can accurately check my temps. I like to keep them under 50 degrees or so, air cooled.

It just seems odd to me that I can use Winbound right before I shut down, restart, start Winbound and be 10 degrees higher! Now that I think about it, an actual probe would give the best reading.

Thanks for the help!

E

Back