• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A7N8X BIOS question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gvblake22

I have BIOS version 1007 and on the ASUS website they have a BIOS version C1007. I was wondering if this is actually a newer version or just the same thing. Also, if it is a newer version, how do I actually go about updating/flashing the BIOS, or whatever it is called? (Sorry for the n00b questions...):rolleyes:

The C indicates a particular model of A7N8X. It's the same version you have. As a general rule, it isn't a good idea to flash the bios unless there is something in the new version that fixes something bad in your version. It's not exactly rare that the flash fails and you are left with a dead board until you get a new chip. Well, it is pretty rare, but if it happens to you, not rare enough.

Generally, to update a bios, you boot from a dos disk and run something like AWDFLASH.EXE, which gives you the option to save your bios to the floppy or update from a bios file on your floppy. The A7N8X has a big bios, so you actually can't save it to the same disk that you're updating from because there just isn't enough room. That makes it a bit trickier since you have to save to one floppy and then reboot and update from another.

You can also do it through Windows but that is considered a bit less safe because windows can be unstable and crash when you would prefer that it didn't.

thanks for the info. The problem I have been having when I start to overclock my barton 2500+, the ASUS boot-up screen reads the frequency 1mhz low and so does the ASUSprobe. But the system properties reads it at the right speed and so does the BIOS when I go back into it. Not sure if this is actaully considered a problem though. (the overclocking in the 11 multiplier gives this error and I can't run Prime95 for more than an hour without it coming up w/ some kind of error on most fsb settings above stock)

Do you mean 100 MHZ? If not, I wouldn't worry about it. It does seem odd that it would read, ie 132 or 199 MHZ at boot up screen. I would go ahead and reflash you bios. Both Asus live update and Asus website will work.

If it is 100 MHZ, then your computer is unstable and it has defaulted to safe mode, 100 MHZ. Just go into bios to retard your OC.

nope, 1mhz under the fsb I set in BIOS...
Example: I set cpu at 195x11 in BIOS
The Boot screen reads it as 194 mhz when I start up
Wierd huh...

well, it's wierd 'cause it only displays 1mhz low on 11 multiplier above 177 fsb but on all other multipliers on any fsb it is accurate...
Other programs seem to read the correct speed though. Should i try and re-flash the bios??? (although the overclocks do seem to be running "moderately stable")

gvblake22 said:
well, it's wierd 'cause it only displays 1mhz low on 11 multiplier above 177 fsb but on all other multipliers on any fsb it is accurate...
Other programs seem to read the correct speed though. Should i try and re-flash the bios??? (although the overclocks do seem to be running "moderately stable")

No, don't bother. I've noticed the same thing. I think I have it set for 213 and it shows as 212. Some settings I try are correct, others are off by one. Not a big deal and I've read about other folks saying the same thing.

Back