• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

which MB to buy for locked proc?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bulk88

I need a CHEAP MB that can hit 205 FSB guarenteed for a locked proc. I don't want dual channel but I'll get a NF2 if the price is right and use it in single channel. I don't care about accessories or southbridges or SATA or LAN or Sound or anything onboard. I need it CHEAP. I am thinking Via but I don't know how much they overclock and what model to get. I need it plain and featureless and CHEAP and low performance but for it to hit 205 FSB. I am not going to do a hardware VMOD on it.

I run my $55.00 Shuttle AN35N Ultra in single channel mode with XP1700+ @220FSB x 10 with Buffalo\Winbond PC3200 @ 11-3-3-2.5 on Auto VDimm. I know of a few people running 205FSB with locked Barton 2500+s, but of course there is no such thing as a guarantee.

Regards, Balrog

avoid via if your overclocking. via is cheap, but the boards do not lock the agp and pci frequencies. your better off with a nf2 board anyday.

ive tried many socket A boards. if you want cheap, go for the Shuttle An35n Ultra like Balrog said. its a 50 - 60 dolalr board, doenst have too many features, and overclocks pretty well for a cheap board. if not, the MSI K7n2 DeltaL is also a very good cheap board. i owned several different boards, and these 2 are the low cost boards that provided me with the better overclockign experience.

If youre looking for a cheap board that will overclock like crazy, the NF7 might be your best choice. It's the exact same board as the NF7-S, but doesnt include Soundstorm, SATA, or Firewire. It overclocks exactly the same as the NF7-S. Plus, it's only $70 at Newegg.

DON'T! You might get unlucky like me. Two boards I have used, 1 my dad's, 1 my stepdad's, each with highly rated ram, don't even post at 206 fsb, let alone run windows stably at 205. To be perfectly stable one is at 200, otherwise memtest errors, and one is at 203. Trust me. Don't go for the bottom of the barrel. (although the only nf2 boards at my houses are shuttles. 2 an35n ultra, 1 mn31n)

I just read a post from Balrog in another thread and I guess I changed my mind. It's ok to get those cheapo boards, but just be careful and know what you are getting into. Plus, those lower end board manufacturers aren't well known for customer support.

Back