• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NF7-S rev2 BIOS 20 & Flashmenu 1.3 mini review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Audioaficionado

Sparkomatic Moderator
My board shipped with BIOS 18 and was running OK but I decided to update anyway. I've aways been a floppy flasher but I decided to use the latest version of FlashMenu 1.3 just to see what it was like. I have a backup flashed CMOS so what's the worst that could happen?

I downloaded all the files and made a BIOS flashing floppy just in case disaster struck.

Anyway I used the FlashMenu to backup my existing BIOS and then I pointed it at the v20 bin file. All went off without a hitch and I never even had to open up the computer to reset the CMOS like you normally do with DOS/floppy flashing. I even left the conservative 200x11/2200 OC running while I flashed. I did shut down everything running in windows that wasn't a system service beforehand.

On reboot the Changed or checksum error message popped up and default values were loaded. So I just went into the Softmenu III to reset up everything the way I had it before.

I don't know how this affects the max OC but I'll try it out another time after I reach page one on team32's F@H rainbow stats page.

Anyway it was fun to try out a new (for me) technology. I'll be using FlashMenu from now on my Abit NF7-S.

BTW I also tried that new nVidia System Utility but it just hard locked my box when I tried to change several voltage and frequency settings all on one try. Next time I'll just try one parameter at a time. I also hacked the INI file so I can get into the unsupported advanced settings tab. The only thing I can change in there is the multiplier and you have to reboot to effect the changes there. I haven't retried using this utility yet but will when I feel like gambling again :p I hope Abit supports the advanced settings page in future BIOS versions.

I have always been a floppy flasher like you Audio. In the past I tried the Asus windows flash utility without success on my A7V266-E. So I was a little hesitant using Abit's Flashmenu on my NF7-S V2 at first too. Afterwards I was plesently suprized at how easy it was myself. I will always have a floppy just incase though ;)

fyi.. you should have your system not overclocked at all while doing the windows flasher. :)

I used the Abit flashing utility as well with my new board. I was a little hesitant to say the least. That's one of the nice things about Gigabyte boards - Dual bios.

Cow2kie said:
fyi.. you should have your system not overclocked at all while doing the windows flasher. :)

Yes but in my case I'm not really overclocked as it's an XP2500 and they're the same core as the XP3200. It's also a choice in my BIOS just to pick XP3200. Abit knows this too.

Most new mobos, that unlock the chip.. you can select whatever u want.. all that does is change the multi

I also prefer the floppy when flashing but recently tried the Giga-Byte windows updater. It worked perfect and was almost instant but I'm not sure if I will do it untill I do or don't hear some more stories.

I agree that the FlashMenu is a very efficient and useful utility. I've used it to jump from D10 to D20 and vice versa at least 10x already without any problems.

Cow2kie said:
Most new mobos, that unlock the chip.. you can select whatever u want.. all that does is change the multi

Not in my case. My NF7-S didn't change the multiplier but the fsb. Both XP2500 & XP3200 have an 11x multiplier.

It would be the same with either an unlocked or locked Barton XP2500.

Cow2kie said:
yes.. it changes from 133 and 166.... its not special :rolleyes:

Your rolleyes aside, it actually is special. The NF7-S is argueably one of the best OC mobos you can get these days. And with the unlocked Barton XP2500, it's one of the best combos I've have the pleasure to build and operate.

:santa2: :clap: :santa:

I know the NF7 is very good.. i love both of mine. Im just saying picking 3200 instead of 2800 isnt special. :) I dont mean to offend if I did so don't take it that way.:cool:

I wasn't sure where you were coming from, but I wasn't offended. We were just discussing it from our own perspectives.

No biggie :)

Back