• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Testing for stability-Prime95 settings

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

flowrider

Ok this is a silly question.

Assuming that you use Prime95 to determine the stability of your system, what do you set your Priority to under the >Advanced menu?

I have set mine to 9 and am wondering if that places a greater stress on my system therefore giving me more errors.

Just wondering because I can't seem to get my system up past 203mHz FSB.

It would seem to me that if I left it at the default settings it would be easier on my comp.

It won't give it as much of a strain but you can change the settings to see what you get. How are your temps running, at those speeds and running Prime, you're pushing the envelope of what that V-7 can handle. I use a V-11+ and plan on upgrading to a V-12 when the price comes down a bit. What timings and voltages are you running?

Regards, Balrog

Monitor the temps and crank it up full bore, you want to stress the whole system. You should reach a steady temp in ~10 minutes but check it for awhile to make sure something doesn't go crazy.

Make sure you're running the torture test and not the standard prime calculation. The torture test uses a set of predefined tests for which it knows the answer, thus if it fails then there has been a failure somewhere along the computational line (cpu, memory, chipset or whatever). :cool:

Well so far so good. This heat sink is amazing! I thought I was pretty well cooled before but this SLK947U is loud and proud and only need a simple mod to fit a NF7-S.

As it stands right now torture testing in Prime at 9 priority:
FSB - 420
Mem - 420 (auto setting)
Mem timings 10-3-3-2.5
Temp CPU die according to nvSystem Utility and Winbond 29°C
System temp - 12°
Vcore - 1.75
AGP - 1.5
Vdimm - 2.8

Good for 2315gHz :)

Looking good Flowrider! I noticed you have your tRAS set to 10, have tried 11 yet? There are some articles and posts around that show this is the sweet spot on nForce boards, it'll give you a bit more memory bandwidth and 3DMark scores. I run my Buffalo at 220FSB w\11-3-3-2.5 timings yield 3223\2903 Sandra scores using an XP1700 @2200mhz.

Regards, Balrog

Thanks Balrog. I'll try 11 as well. I haven't benchmarked my system yet as I'm still trying to see how far I can go and maintain stability. 210fsb and counting. I'm jumping by 2's

AQUEA 0330XPMW. I'm thinking unlocked. Are you going to suggest something?

I just cranked it to 215 FSB to see what would happen. Prime quit after a minute.

If you're still using the stock 11x multi try dropping to 10x and you should get more FSB. 2200-2300mhz would be good range to run with a new CPU, after you've burned it in some more you may be able to push it higher. I have 2 Barton 2500 AQXEAs and they both top out around 2300mhz.

Regards, Balrog

Thanks Balrog but I've tried to drop my multi but it seems to lock up everytime I do. Is there a reason for this? Perhaps my multi is locked. I think it's a good stepping though.

flowrider said:
I thought this "AQUEA 0330XPMW." was my stepping code?

It should be but I don't see it anywhere. You sure the U isn't something else? Here is a pretty extensive list of known info. With a week 30 (the 0330 means 2003, week 30 just in case you weren't aware --- no disrespect intended), I would think it is unlocked.

Last edited:
OK, I found it. Best for you to do a Google search using "Barton AQUEA stepping" and you get one hit. Then translate the page, I think it is in Spanish. I would still think it is unlocked. :cool:

you know I wasn't too sure when I wrote it down. it was an after thought when I was install the 947. Looking at it know it could very well be a V and not a U.

Sorry Balrog, about the Raptors. In my case TT Xaser I have on 3.5" bay that has a fan in it. I put the Raptor array in that particular one and it seems to keep everything nice and cool.

I wrote a guide for overclocking awhile back. It is a sticky here (over in the AMD motherboard section) and a couple other forums including Abit. Here is the link. Balrog is providing good advice also so whatever works for you. :cool:

deeppow said:
no disrespect intended), I would think it is unlocked.

None taken. I alway thought I was safe with a week 30 but for some reason it would never let me use anything below 11. After reading the article, it said that saving to BIOS twice was the way to make it 'stick'. We'll see. I'll give it a try.

What are the advantages of using a lower multi? My AGP and Pci bus's are locked as far as I know on my machine.

deeppow said:
I wrote a guide for overclocking awhile back. It is a sticky here (over in the AMD motherboard section) and a couple other forums including Abit. Here is the link. Balrog is providing good advice also so whatever works for you. :cool:

I've read most of it:palready. Very nice job and comprehensive. I appreciate you help.

Back