• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with my gigabyte 7n400 pro2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Crash893

"The man in black fled across the desert,
Im a little behind the curve on this one guys

Ive had my old mobo so long some of the settings on this one blow my mind i cant even get it to stock speeds

ga-7n400 pro2
xp 2500 barton core 333
muskin 3500 ddr ( 4X256)

what else do you need to know
basicly right now since this is my main rig i want to leave it at stock speed ( witch is for some reason completely evading me) it running 1100 ive messed around with it some and i got it up to 1254mhz

also what is a good temp to leave well enogh alone on the new amd's?

right now its running at 55c under full load

Make sure the clock switch on the mobo is set to Auto, sounds like you have it at 100. Also set the multi dips to Auto, that way you will get 11x 166FSB= 1826MHz=2500+ speed.
Hood

BTW you will easily get the FSB to 200 and thus turn your 2500 into a 3200. Make sure your DDR/CPU ratio is set to 100% in the BIOS for best performance, also set the timings to 11, 2, 2, 2 if you can and if not 11, 2, 3, 2 should work OK.
Hood

right now its a
system clock of 100.23mhz and
system bus 200.45
multiplier 11.0

and its running at around 50c
granted i onlly have stock cooling but that should be sufficient for me to run at stock speeds right?

At the lower left side of your North Bridge you will see a dip switch, set it to ON for Auto FSB.
Hood

right by the north bridge i have the "cpu clock switch" on is auto off is 100mhz ( auto suports 400 333 266 mhz

and then above the cpu i have the clk ratio

witch suports 5x to 18x

That is correct, what do you have the clock switch set at?? it should be ON for Auto. If you do have it at ON then go into the BIOS and set your FSB to 166 for stock speeds or 200 for 3200+ speeds. You should manage the 3200+ speeds at stock voltage and with a stock HSF easily as you shouldnt even have to raise the VCore.
Hood

your right i missed that on install

the default clk_sw is set to off (=100mhz) i guess its a safty thing

i will have to do that when i get home im working the night shift right now and dont have access to my comptuer

there is one other currious problem i saw in my manual ( that i took with me to work to read( im a geek))

at the bottom it says

" you must set clk_sw to 100mhz ( or off) when you used fsb 200 mhz cpu "

what does that mean?

The old Athlon Thunderbirds and Durons were 200Bus(2x100FSB) processors, the new Durons and Palominos are 266Bus(2X 133fsb) T/Breds can be 266 or 333bus (2x 166FSB)and Bartons can be 166 or 400 Bus(2x 200FSB).
Because you have a Barton 2500+ it has a bus speed of 333 so you need the FSB at 166MHz (2x 166=333). As I said you could set the FSB to 200(2x 200= 400CPU FSB) to make your 2500 into a 3200 Barton.
Its kind of confusing but the FSB and CPU FSB is just like DDR memory, the memory is actually running on say a 166FSB but it is double pumped so effectively is using 333 bus, same for the CPU.
Hope you understand because I am afraid I am not very good at explaining things.
Hood

btw
let it be known threw out the land......

hood = on point today

just so its on record

also side note

what is your opinion of the "easytune 4" software that comes with these boards i was playing around with that last night and managed to get it up to 1425 but after that it would freze

does the easytune work threw the bios to change acuatll settings or is it windows based?

Crash893 said:

hood = on point today

just so its on record
Not sure I follow what you are meaning.
also side note what is your opinion of the "easytune 4" software that comes with these boards i was playing around with that last night and managed to get it up to 1425 but after that it would freze does the easytune work threw the bios to change acuatll settings or is it windows based?

Easy tune is crap, its OK for temps and voltage reaading but thats about it. Ocing is best done in the BIOS, if the worst comes to the worst and you cant POST all you need to do is clear the CMOS and you will be running again.
EasyTune is windows based and sets it on the fly so doesnt actually alter the BIOS settings.

Hood

Hood said:

Not sure I follow what you are meaning.

Hood

its a complement

your on top of every question i ask

( its a good thing be proud)

Hood, You rock dude:clap: :clap:

Crash893, you sure pegged that one, that hood is one happenin, helpful hombre:) follow his lead and he will take good care of you.

You guys are embarrasing me:eek: :eek: Please continue :D
But being serious for a moment its what forums are about, I help you today and you help me tomorrow and we all live happily ever after.

BTW dont know if people here know but the members of AMDMB forums voted 3Sixes(AKA DaFanMan) the most helpful member, just thought I would give some recognition where its due.

Hood

Hood,
thanks for the props man, but today is all about you, nice to see someone start help and follow thru to conclusion:clap: :clap:

While I got you, did you check out my dryer hose mod pics, and Im hoping you got the link for the cpu id/pr calc/thermal calc, I think it will be a good tool to add...........
Later bro, you take it easy new years is coming............

Crash893:
Did you have any trouble running 4x256 sticks of ram, they must all be single sided, cause many users have run into problems trying to run more than 3.

Perhaps you could take a minute to slide over to amdmb.com gigabyte forum and leave your impressions of your board and participate in the poll that is going on..............

laterz,
3sixes -aka- dafanman

Hey DaFanMan, you voted on the Poll at OCW yet. Should give BT something to think about LOL
Hood
Oh and not sure if I added all the links, have a look at the page and if I missed any if you let me know I would be more than happy to add them.

Hood,
I think I was number 3 or numer 6, something like that, Im sure you can imagine what my vote was:p

Im gonna scan back thru what ive collected lately and send you a pm, prob tomorrow.........

I was number three, thought you would have taken delight in voting. Last time I looked it was 100% for our way of thinking. LOL
Look forward to the PM.
I couldnt see your pics at first but have disabled the firewall and its working now, will go have a proper look.
Hood

no go hood

i flipped the clk_sw to the on position ( to auto) and it wont even post

flip it back and everything is cool

any suggestions

How far do you get, does the fan spin, LEDs light etc.
Make sure the dips for the multis are at Auto or 11x.
Try clearing the CMOS.
Make sure your HSF is seated correctly as I have just noticed that your temps were fairly high for just running a 100FSB.
Hood

Oh also what size/brand PSU do you have and have you got the 4pin Power lead plugged into the mobo.

should i set it to auto or spesificly to 11x

Back