• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Third stick of RAM in nForce2 board

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

druidelder

If one were running dual channel RAM, would the third stick need to be the same as well?

It only has to be the same if it has to be the same with two sticks in dual channel, which is generally the case. What I'm not sure about is whether it has to be the same size or double the size.

That's what I was wondering. I was thinking about 2x256 and a 512 later, but if that won't work, I'll just get 2x512.

Many use different size modules in their NF2 rigs.

If you have two 256mb & one 512mb, just put both 256mb
in channel one and the 512mb in channel two.
Had mine configured that way for a while.

I'm not clear on what happens if the 2 channels are not 'balanced' (e.g. 3 X 256MB modules - therefore, 256MB on one channel and 512MB on the other) however as noted above it should work fine with 512MB on each channel, even if there are 2 sticks on one and 1 stick on the other.

on the nf7-s I would put the 2x256 on the first 2 and the 512 on the third correct?......I am sure this would limit my overclocks.....especially seeing as they no longer make 512 bh-5 winbond buffolo memory sticks :(......could I use some nice corsair :)......or mushkin:)......I am sure as long as the 512 can handle the oc the buffolo can handle I will be ok....right???....thanks for the info :D

I have mine setup like 2x 256mb sticks in Slots 3 and 2, and 1x 512 stick in slot 1. Still runs in Dual Channel, and I have had no problems at all with it.

you cant run dual channel with 3 sticks of RAM.

for dual channel to work RAM must be installed IN PAIRS.
using 3 sticks of RAM, its not possible to have pairs, so the memory is only running as single channel

ok, if i am missing something here please fill me in.
I hvae been wrong in the past, and i am sure i will be wrong again.
I hvae never had any shame in adminting when i was wrong either.

thanks druidelder...
did some other readings too...
And the nForce does Dual channel nothing like Intel's..
and thats what confused me nice and good.

So If i am fully understanding how the nForce Dual channel works, its something like this, corect?

2 memory controllers.
1 controller controlls bank 3
1 controller controlls bank 2 and 1

if the total sum of memory in bank 1 or 2 is equal to bank 3 Dual channel works. aka 2 sticks, normal...

Now this is what differs from intel
If the total combined sum of bank 1 and 2 is equal to bank 3, Dual channel still works. with 3 sticks.

But if the combined sum of bank 1 and 2 is not equal to bank 3, Dual channel will not work.

I actually did some research on this before I bought my nforce2 board and there were a lot of "I dunnos" and a few people who were firm that as long as the quantities were matched in the two channels it didn't matter how many sticks of ram there were. I was happy to find this out since I was planning on grabbing 2x256 and later getting a 1x512 for a total of 1gig and still being able to run dual channel. I would imagine it would limit your overclocks though, since even standard 2 stick dual channel seems to limit FSB overclock as appossed to single channel opperation. I would think 3 sticks would do even moreso.

I had a couple people tell me it will even work with an unequal amount, i.e. 3 sticks of 256...but at a diminished capacity. I am somewhat skeptical of this however.

I think there is still only 1 memory controller on the north bridge. It is just that it alternates between the two memory channels faster than the memory can work, although it is limited by bandwidth.

Back