• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Volcano 12 on order - Update to follow!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Balrog

Hey All, As some of you may know I'm a Thermaltake fan, I'm currently running a V-11+ and like it a lot, adjustable 80mm fan, nice shrouded micro fin copper sink and $28.00 delivered. I recently read a review over at Dan's Data regarding the V-12 and learned about reversing the fan which worked out nicely, 2C drop in temps and much quieter. I've been looking around for one but my regular HSF supplier, www.heatsinkfactory.com has been out of stock, great people by the way and NewEgg has been overcharging for it $43.00 delivered. I found it last night over at www.ajump.com, very good rating at www.resellerrating.com so I orderd one up - $30.00 delivered! I should have it installed the beginning of the week and will give you an update as to what I find should anyone be in the market for a powerful but reasonably priced HSF. Remember that reversing the fan dramatically reduces the noise, even on high speed.

Dan's Review
http://www.dansdata.com/quickshot011.htm

Subzerotech Review
http://www.subzerotech.com/index/module/sz_reviews_display/id/174

3DXtreme Review
http://www.3dxtreme.org/TT_Volcano12_p1.shtml

Regards, Balrog

Last edited:
What are the effects on cooling by reversing the fan, and by reversing do you mean the rotation or the mounting of it?

Thanks

You could probably change the wiring but I just flip mine over, I don't care about the looks so much. Because the heat sink has micro-fins and the 80mm fan is capable of some pretty good airflow on fastest setting, V-11+ = 55CFM, V-12 = 73CFM it creates a lot of turbulence within the sink which creates noise. By reversing the fan the air is drawn in through the sides guided by the fins and the outer shroud which creates a much smoother airflow and thus less noise and more effective heat transfer. My V-11+ gave me an additional 2C drop by doing this and the noise was dramatically reduced. Both the V-11+ and V-12 have speed controllers included that can be mounted in an extra 3.5 bay or rear PCI slot cover. By turning these down to 2200rpm when surfing they are almost silent, my HDD and CD\ROM drives make more noise. When I game or benchmark I crank up the airflow as noise isn't an issue when you have headphones on or pushing your OCs IMHO

Regards, Balrog

Nice choice Balrog.
I don't think I would get a temp drop if I reversed my sruggling TMD fan. :)

Last edited:
Hey sQUiRLy!

Yeah TMDs are sweet but made more for silent running than extreme OCing, looks like you're about due for a new HSF yourself.

Regards, Balrog

Nah man, bad time of year to ship something, looks like a couple more days, so I'll let you know Thursday night. I didn't want to pay an extra $7.00 for FedEx so we're stuck with UPS ground.

Regards, Balrog

You sure your Bartons Ok, did you get the HSF on wrong and toast it? I almost did that a couple of weeks ago with one of mine, in too much of a rush and I forgot to plug the fan in :eek: luckily I noticed when I fired it up. Damn Miracle!

Regards, Balrog

i've got it in my ak38n right now.i'm no noob i tried 2 cpu's(barton&morgan core duron),4 sticks of ram,2 psu's.i have no doubt the board was huffed.i actually have 4 rigs.rig in sig,a 1700 that i will put back in the ak38n,an ecs with the morgan,and my first overclock rig va-503+ with a k6-2 350@400

Let us know how that volcano 12 does, i hear it's doing almost as good as an slk-947 with a 92mm tornado. Curious to see how it works on the an35-n.

Hey Lanman! Yeah, I've read a few more reviews and its looking like TT have got a winner on their hands, hopefully they will start making some bolt on units like the SLK Us as these suckers are getting pretty heavy. I'm mounting mine in a custom case I'm building with the MoBo mounted horizontally but if I use it in the typical vertical position I think I'd add a small bracket to help take some of the strain off the socket.

Regards, Balrog

3:45PM E.S.T. - V-12 Extreme is Here! :D

AJump's packaging was excellent, it was barely moving in the box and this suckers heavy! Plenty of packing peanuts and Thermaltakes plastic enclosure kept everything secure even UPS couldn't trash this one. Nice fit and finish, a ton of micro fins, 66 I believe, BIG-***-FAN! Lapping on bottom is good, I can't feel anything with my fingernail but I think we'll spend a few minutes and polish it up a bit more. Still have to flip the fan over as well, should have initial figures in about an hour.

Regards, Balrog

Just finished lapping @1200grit, it could probably use some more but as I can see my reflection (Ohhh -Not good!) thats enough for today. Going to be shutting down and install it now.

Regards, Balrog

O.M.G.!!!!!!!!

I think I'm in love!!!!

I've only tried it with the fan flipped to draw air through like I was running my V-11+, I'll flip it to stock position with air being forced in tomorrow. Figures are compared to V-11+ @5524rpm, V-12 was @5532rpm and significantly quieter.

2-3C lower @Idle

3-5C lower @Load

Currently running 2100rpm and it is damn near silent, I am not joking. This is sitting all spread out on my desk (no case) 2 feet away and all I hear is the the 80mm Coolermaster side fan on my MN31N that is 7 feet away, and that is a pretty quiet fan. I have to put my ear about 6" away from the HSF to hear it at these speeds. Its only running 5C higher than at 5532rpm at idle as I type this. This thing ROCKS! -$30.00 delivered - 2 speed controllers - 1 x PCI slot cover and 1 X 3.5 bay aluminum job that has mounts for 3 more controllers that you can pick-up cheap at Radio Shack. Guess thats it for now, I'll let you know what I find with stock fan position tomorrow.

Regards, Balrog

www.ajump.com $30.00 delivered UPS ground - FedEx 3-5day is $7.50 extra. Another thing I noticed is it mounts much easier than the V-11+ which is a little bigger in one dimension so its snug againest the caps until you get it locked on the socket lugs, once its attached its got plenty of room. The V-12 fits like a glove, even though its wider in one dimension they made it narrower in the other so it doesn't even touch the caps installing. I still can't believe how quiet this is running, I could turn my V-11+ down to 1500rpm and it was still way louder than this. If you need a HSF do not pass up this option when you're looking around. Its no wonder this is giving the SLKs a run for their money.

Regards, Balrog

Back