• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is my system OK like this? Worried...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pepino Cantador

Registered
I recently went AMD. I got an Abit NF7-S v2 and a Barton 2600+. The processor is watercooled via a Corsair HydroCool 200 system.

My memory is just standard Corsair, good but inexpensive, and the memory timings are kept low.

Anyway, I'm running bios 21. My FSB is set to 225, 11x multi, 1.85v core. This leaves me at (according to the bootup screen) 2464mhz. The divider has been changed so the ram is only running a couple mhz over it's native 333.

At idle, it sits at about 38c, and hits 47c under load while running Prime95 after a few hours.

It can run Prime95 all night with no problems, and in SiSandra it benches better than the xp3200 and the P4 3.2c.

Now, the results seem decent, but I'm worried about the temps. Is that too high for idle / load on an AMD? Is the motherboard sensor on the NF7-S v2 not entirely accurate? Are there any other settings (FSB/Multi/vcore) I should try for netting the same / better results with lower temps if they are too high?

The FSB will go a little higher if I lower the multi (to about 235), but I figured it would be better to put a little more of the load on the CPU, since it's the watercooled component.

Anyway, much thanks!

PS - Running Windows XP btw. Radeon 9800 / SB audigy2 are addin cards, using onboard network.

Edit - I thought I should also add that I haven't gone any higher because of a) the temps, and b) it won't do any higher vcore than 1.85 and be stable, or even boot most the time.

Last edited:
It sounds a bit warm for a water cooled rig but you are running pretty fast and I'm not familiar with how well the Corsair WC setup cools. Whats the GPH of the pump and the ID of your tubing? What water block are you using? Whats your ambient temps?

Regards, Balrog

The temp is a bit high but looking at where you're from that kinda make sense. I'm guessing your ambient temp is relatively high?

unfortunatly my temps read about the same per my sig. I don't find that there is a problem with it as it is at a Vcore of 1.85 however I do plan on a new water cooling system. Not too happy with this 1 from SYSFX.net and it looks like they went out of business anyway.

Your temps are not dangerously high though. If your cpu temp is only about 20° or so (prime 95) above room temp, at that overclock, it is not that bad. If it's more than that you could try reseating the waterblock a few times, and if possible experiment with changing the pressure of the block onto the cpu core. Careful don't crack the core. Btw, you did not say what the memory specs are, but if I were you I would at least try running that memory in sync with the processor (the 5\5 divider) as the chipset likes it better that way, and try conservative mem timings for instance, 11-3-3-2.5... that Corsair memory may not be guaranteed to run that fast but chances are good it will run a lot better than stock.

Back