• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sorting out a board

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Goateh

Well, i currently have the system in my sig.. the only problem is that my CPU isn't an overclocker... so I wouldn't mind trying an AMD system out... what I was thinking was a
XP 2500+ (heard they OC real good)
and either an Abit NF7-S
or a Asus A7N8x Deluxe

Any thoughts on what one would be better (Im leaning slightly towards teh Asus because they display their temps right). My friend the Asus board, it seems nice.

Or maybe you could offer an alternative?

Anyways, thoughts appreciated
:)

thanx :D

yeah, i didnt buy the abit board because they display temps wrong, but who really needs the temp monitors unless heat really makes ur OC unstable?

i would say buy the abit, they let u OC on avg like 10 more fsb than the asus a7n8x, plus they have tons more voltage options

and if u are buying the abit, i would say get a high wattage psu from antec or fotron, they are the most reliable low-cost brands IMO, cheapest high wattage psu out on the market is the fortron 530w at www.newegg.com u wont be dissapointed if u buy it

defintely plus with every new revision the temperatures get improved and more accurate. And hes right you're gonna need a Antec or a Fortron to give you a good reliable overclock.

anyone getting an nforce2 chipset board finally asks this question and there is no dead-set answer......i went with the abit cuz i didn't need two lan ports and the abit overclocked better (higher voltage for the core where necessary).........other than that, the two boards share the same onboard sound and have many of the same features.........

Something not mentioned already was the issue of the Bartons being shipped now are mostly locked, this won't stop you upping the FSB for an OC, but don't expect changing the multiplier to work. If you can find somewhere that'll sell you a 2500+ that was made before week 39 or so, you'll have a better chance of getting one thats still unlocked, though there's no real guarantee it'll be unlocked. Check the AMD CPU section of the forum for the barton locked issue thread for a list of what cpu's ppl have been getting and which ones have been locked and which have not.

yeah I was told that, but oh well, i'm still gonna give the AMD OC a go. If it doesn't work out.. im not too worried.. i'll be going overseas later this year, so i'll only have it for a few months but still.. fingers crossed eh ?
:p

Back