• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A7N8X - SataRaid/boot order question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dgk

I have Raid-0 installed and happy. It's booting fine if only the SATA drives are operating. If I have an IDE drive installed also, it seems to be trying to boot off that. I have the bios set so only SCSI is enabled as a boot drive. I've also tried just HDD-1.

Anyone have a guess as to fixing this? I would like the IDE drive as a ghost backup drive.

I have the same issue!
I have a Raptor with i finally got windows loaded on to but it keeps booting off my Normal IDE primary drive!
How do you make it boot from the SATA drive?

According to the Asus website, the SATA driver has a higher priority than the IDE driver so it boots first. No. Not correct as far as I can tell. Right now I'm just leaving the IDE unpowered but I hope for a better solution. That drive would be a perfect ghost target.

Interesting! I have 2 120 WDC sata raid 0 drives and one 100gig eidie drive as primary. I boot fine from the sata.

I am running 1007 bios.

Perhaps your ghost drive had the system/boot partition on it too and that is a prob. Mu eide drive is just for mp3's and such.

Huh strange but I have no probs.

AXIS ya in my case your right i have 2 older IDE drivers in my system but one the 1 contains an acutual full bootable copy of windows! the other is just drivers and installtion programs!

If it the fact that the 1 IDE has a boot part. on it then ill disable it and try and boot from the hard drive!

I'll try it also. The old IDE drive has the same OS as the new drives. And it won't finish booting! Apparently the SATA drives are making it crazy.

Yes,

If you want to only boot from SATA than you need to take off the boot record from the IDE drive. Why don't you ghost it over to another drive or partition and then either reformat or alter the MBR on the IDE disk.

It will also speed up your boot quite a bit.

Well last night i pulled the EDi cord dor my primary drives and reloaded window ontothe Raptor and got it to boot then i was gonna istall all the NVidia drivers from the disc WHAM BSOD

Then the Raptor wouldnt boot giving me an error of windows is missing <windows (somthing)>del.dll is missing or corrupt.

I quit messing with it at that point and just plugged my old drives back in for the time being.

I guess i got to questions now
1st how do i exract the file i need from either the windows installation disc or my boot able windows?

2ndm what exactly do i need to delete from my primari IDE drive to make the SATA drivew the boot master drive?

dgk said:
I have Raid-0 installed and happy. It's booting fine if only the SATA drives are operating. If I have an IDE drive installed also, it seems to be trying to boot off that. I have the bios set so only SCSI is enabled as a boot drive. I've also tried just HDD-1.

Anyone have a guess as to fixing this? I would like the IDE drive as a ghost backup drive.

Change the boot order for your devices in the Bios.

Set the priority to boot from SCSI before the ide0 device, also set it to allow a boot from other devices.

I have SATA and IDE drives installed in my A7N8X (both bootable) and the SATA always boots with the above setting.

Al

What i did was set everything in the bois to IDE except One CD ROM (WinXP) from Auto to NONE. Set it to boot to CD ROM then SCSI in that order. Currently have it set with NONE on all IDE from auto after my install is finished. Boots like a rocket with my seagate's 2 SATA RAID 0. Windows will see all your devices!

I ment to post back earlier.......

What i had to do was pull the IDE cable from m the primary chanel!
Changed boot to 1st SCSI
2nd CD
THEN load widows from cd then REBOOT FIND SCSI AND FINSH SETUP!

Was great then i was gonna slap the drivers in there and grab my window up date but 1/2 way thru i got a BSOD and a reboot then it kept coming back and not booting giving some crazy missing driver......

.its late so i un plug change boot order then plugin my other drives to to play a game........

Next day i say "let give it another go"
change the boot order to scsi1st cd 2nd BAMM boots fine and fast been that way ever since every thing is loaded and running fine.

1 thing is Sandra soft is saying the SATA drive is not preforming up to par .....(What this is a WD raptor what is it talking about)

I thought i had all the drivers for it is there anything in windows i need to install after the fact?

Back