• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dvd+r's smaller then advertized

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nukemall

No Classified access for me
Im having this problem with my dvds where they are about 150 smaller then they should be. They are advertized as 4.7gb disks so i was hoping id get to use 4.7 or 4.65 gigs for backup but for some reason all my burning software only alows to burn up to 4.55 gigs in size (and yes it dose make a huge difference cause im backing up anime and i cant get the last episode in a lot of the time)

It's just like Hard Drives. They screw you over all the time. 120GB HD = 111GB. They play with numbers like 1000 VS. 1024 for conversion between Bytes and Bits.

wierd cause that didnt happen with cd-r's...

There is even a small group of folks (in CA, I think) suing HD makers due to this same "problem". Their argument is that the HD makers take advantage of the difference between the 1000 and 1024 multipliers and let the customer think they are getting a larger drive than the actual capacity.

Right now there is nothing you can do, except to note that the actual recording capacity is smaller and try to align your backups using the "real" capacity.

William

Also, I think up to something like 15% of your hardrive can be unusable space, and still be considered 'fine' and 'unreturnable'. As for DVD's...that seems a bit...much.

even if you do it would give u and extra 20 megs at most. At least from what i read (exactly the same amout as cd-r's

Back