• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

help with ram and new nf7-s

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

twump

hi guys i just got a new nf7-s mobo. i'm having a problem with my ram. I have 2x512MB ocz pc3200 performance series.
i am only able to get 1 stick to work at a time. to get the single stick to work it has to be in slot 3, slot 2 and 1 don't work. i got it to boot once with both sticks in when i was doing the initial testing before i installed the os but after that once it never worked with both again.

when i try to boot i get
long beep, long space, long beep,long space and so on and so on.

if i understand the abit beep codes this tells me my ram isn't seated right. i've installed both sticks probably 20 times in the past 24 hours so i don't know how i could not be getting them seated right.

the ram i know works as i just pulled it from an abit kx7-333r where they worked flawlessly.
also i just updated the bios to the latest revision.

anyone got any ideas what is going on?

full system specs are as follows:
abit nf7-s v2.0
barton 2500 stock
1x512mb ocz pc3200
geforce 4 ti4200
wintv card
40gb hd
cd-rw
dvd-+rw
500watt psu

I once had a problem seating my memory.

It turned out the problem was that the groove(just off center)was not grooved enough.

Just a little bit of filing cured the problem.

In case you didn't know, the RAM should be in slots two and three, although they should work in other configurations as well. Check the inside of the sockets and the bottom of the RAM to see if there's anything getting in your way. If you have compressed air laying around you could try blowing out the socket holes.

after numerous times reseating and swapping chips i gave up. the board is on its way back to newegg. for some reason slots 1&2 just wouldn't accept any memory. slot 3 works fine by itself, but as soon as i added another stick it started beeping at me. i vusually inspected and used canned air on the slots and nothing changed. the ram was definately inserted correctly and making full contact.

i hope the new board does better or i'm moving to asus for the first time.

Back