• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ga-7vrxp

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bogie

This isnt anything big compaired with what a lot of you guys overclock to, but for me and this board it is, finally have it running at 1.7 gigs stable, primed for 6 hours no errors.

Thank you, 148x11.5 T/Bred, i have only raised the vdimm to 2.7 this forum has been a big help with learning more.1 Question this board has the 1/4 dividers and at 148 that means 37 for the divider, 39 is where you can start having problems?

Last edited:
Bogie said:
Thank you, 148x11.5 T/Bred, i have only raised the vdimm to 2.7 this forum has been a big help with learning more.1 Question this board has the 1/4 dividers and at 148 that means 37 for the divider, 39 is where you can start having problems?
The board actually has a 1/5 divider but its finicky, you will see how to do it( and also the the drawbacks) HERE
What I would suggest even if you dont try for 166+FSB is that you put your HDD on the Promise channels as they can withstand much higher bus speeds than the Via controllers and so avoid HDD corruption.
Hood

Thank you Hood, i just want to be safe and not have any problems. I think the next time i refomat i will try that ,using Promise. It should be ok for now, you think. When i can i wanna get another nf7 board.

I think you should be OK at 37PCI but for the few seconds it would take to put the HDD on the Promise I would suggest you do it. All you will have to do is enable the Promise in the BIOS as ATA and then load the drivers in Windows. Then you shut down, swap the HDD over to the Promise and set the First Boot Device as Raid/ATA and you are good to.
Hood

Yes thats all there is to it.
Only thing that could get complicated is that if you have more than one device on the Promise you will get more than one option of RAID/ATA in the boot device list. eg if you have one device and go through the first boot options you will see:
CDRom-Floppy-RAID/ATA-HDD etc etc (not nesescarily in that order)
If you have two devices you will see;
CDRom-Floppy-RAID/ATA-RAID/ATA-HDD etc etc
and three devices
CDRom-Floppy-RAID/ATA-RAID/ATA-RAID/ATA-HDD etc etc

So if you dont get it to boot first time just change to the next instance of RAID/ATA in the list.
As I said this is only if you have more than one HDD on the Promise.

Hood

OK so you just have the one HDD attached to the Promise, correct?
Is it displayed correctly in the Promise BIOS during the POST?
Hood

Got it working i have 2 hard drives, the only thing i dont understand is, it get to a certain place then says hit any key to restart, then it boots into windows fine. Thank you very much.
I set all 3 boot devices to ata.

Goes past the post to the promise post, then after the promise post says "Remove disks or other media, press any ket to restart''
then after i press any key boots right into windows.

Try using the other instance of RAID/ATA in the First Boot Order, what will be happening is the option you have set is for your second drive and when it cant find the system files and you press the key it then looks on the other drive and boots.
Hood

Yes but if you watch closely as you go through them you will have two instances of RAID/ATA if you have two drives on the Promise.
eg as you + or - through the list you will see Floppy then CDROM then RAID/ATA then RAID/ATA then back to floppy.
Hood

Well no guarantees but you will be a lot safer. Usually you wont post before the HDD will corrupt when on the Promise.
Hood

Back