• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what broke?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chaos Snake

I went to bed last night and everything was runing fine, after a few hours my wife said my computer is beeping. I jump into the computer room, and is for the most part shut down except the motherboard light is still on and its making that siren sound. I killed power and went back to bed. When I got up I checked and still have good waterflow through the cooling system (so i'm shure its not a overheat). Hit the power button, got a flash of power and the siren starts again. Then i unpluged all my extra not needed items in my case, and flash of power and siren. Tried the Insert key, same. Cleared the Cmos, same. I'm at a loss as what happened or what broke Please help.
system stats are in my sig.

I also tried wiggling my ram, and vidcard hoping that may fix it, nope. Still flash of power (known cause the power light flashes on for less then a second, but not enough time for any fans to spin) and a 2 tone siren. Dee-Daa-Dee-Daa-Dee-Daa that sound is driving me crazy.

Did you change any settings? You said "everything was running fine" which to me sounds like "I messed with some OC stuff and tested it for a bit and it was working so I went to bed"

I can hear your siren from here....in fact, I have nightmares about that stupid siren. I found it to almost always be related to voltage or heat. Usually under volted. Sometimes my computer would run fine for a couple hours, then two-tone on me. I never really did find optimal settings.

Hope this helps, but I warn you, Im still a noob :)

My system did the same thing the other day. Mine is water cooled thru a chiller. I forgot to turn the pump on the other day and left the room. When I returned the computer was off and the alarm was a singing. In bios I have it set to shut down at the lowest cpu temp it will let you set, I think it is 50c. Unplugged power repluged evey thing work fine, thank god the cpu over heat protection works. I would check your water block see if it came loose?

Nope everything was working fine, is just that. Havent changed any settings in a few weeks. Pump was on pump and powercord to the powersupply are on the same lightbar, so if one is on the other is to. I'll reset the waterblock when i get home from work, i hope that is it. And myabe pull the CPU from my wifes computer and make shure thats not the problem as well.

Swaped out CPU's with one I knew worked, and still same thing. Then checked my CPU in the wifes computer, booted right up. So its not my CPU.Pluged the powersupply into anyther outlet, same thing. Took the board battery out for 10 seconds and put it back in, still the 2 tone siren. I'm starting to run out of ideas here, anyone?

I had this happen once... turned out that my CPU heatsink wasn't hooked up right... (I felt real smart when I found that out...)

The mobo wasn't detecting the fan's RPM and therefore shut off. Very similar to what you are having.

Then again, you are using water cooling so I don't know...

what version of the nf7 do u have? maybe your bios discharged.
have you tried swapping the memory out?

OK got to test most everthing. All items tested by droping them into my wifes computer, booting up, and then puting her items into mine, try to boot up, one at a time. Nothing that got swaped around fixed my problem. Powersupply ok. RAM ok. CPU ok. Video card, ok. I then disconected al my drives, still would not let me get into the bois. Unpluged and repluged my power button on my case into the motherboard. I'm about ready to say that somehow my NF7-S v2.0 had decided to was time to take a dirt nap. Anyone else have any other ideas what I should check next before its a lost cause.

If your going to give up there is a way to get the power to stay on. I don't know if it will help but maybe you will be able to get into bios. on the main power connector to the mb top row of wires 7th form the left it should be green. cut that wire and the end from the power supply ground it to a screw on your cdrom or something then plug the power supply back into 117v. when that wire is grounded the power supply come on and stay on untill you unground it. Try to get into bios and go to pc health status and see what the first three things are set to. If you can't get into bios then i'd say either your mb or bios chip are history. hope this helps let us no

i used to get that siren alot, buy my only problem was my HSF was seated on it wrong :shrug: seeing as you've swapped in a different CPU, that may not be the problem for you :[

Well I did the final tests tonight and my motherboard is dead. Tried jumping the power switch (thinkng that my cases power on button went bad, still did the same thing. Then I thought that maybe something is baking a bad ground to my case. pulled it out of my case, set it on a anti-static bag, pluged everything in, and still just a breaf flash of power and nothing. I thank everyone who gave some input, but its time to go and shop for a new motherboard.

this might be a really stupid interjection, but is there anything plugged into your cpu fan plug? this sounds like a problem with heatsink seating, yes, but its possible its detecting a cpu fan fail as well. if you dont have one plugged in because of water, it would return as a fail.
just make sure its all on properly. not too much thermal paste, the whole deal.

Yeah I pluged one of my case fans into the Fan header just above the CPU socket. On my final attempts to get it to kick over that fan and the NB fan just bearly kicked over. As for not having my WB seated right, Wish I thought that was the problem, I reset it at least 2 times. Once was outside of the case and i got a really good look under the WB and it was on nice and flat.

Back