• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NF7-S VDD mod ~ read this first!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Carmine_Paterno

All I can say is WOW! I am so angry. I had my computer open as I was putting on a southbridge sink and fan, and I had a 5k Potentiameter laying around so I decided to do the VDD mod.

Heres the site at which I followed the directions :
http://www.motherboardfaqs.com/article.php?12.255

Everything went smoothly and it was looking beautiful. I grab my multimeter to check the test points, first number 2 because it was wide open, and the reading came up 1.408v, looks good. Went to test point #1 and BOOM everything turns off never to turn back on. :( im so ****ed haha.

Anyway after *****ing to someone from these forums, he had mentioned on that site, the one test point fries the NF7-S.

Just thought i'd let you guys know before anymore innocent NF7-S's die haha. Yea, and now that means instead of getting my 2nd Raptor for my Raid -0, now I have to spend that on another NF7-S and in the mean time because I dont have a SATA pci card or a spare IDE drive, i need to buy a IDE drive for my KX7-333R which everything will go back in, for the meantime.

WOW

:( Unlucky. I´m sorry...
I have myself burned a a7n8x... when was about to buy a 2500+ at the time, I know what u feeling :) take it easy m8
btw, I guess there are some SATA - IDE adapter, sheaper then buying a IDE HDD...
Good luck m8

Ahh its ok haha. I just picked myself up a Maxtor 60gb ATA133 Diamondmax Plus drive. My brother paid for me since he's the manager there :) so I still have a $75 gift card to probably get another chieftec full tower or some little things here and there.

Looks like im back to my ABIT KX7-333R again...I LOVE this board, has never given me any problems whatsoever. I even have it volt modded up to 2.14v :). I don't feel like throwing my Barton 3000+ in here tho, considering ill have my new nf7-s in a couple weeks. The only thing that bothers me, haha is that the vdd mod actually works although the nothing comes up on the screen. I hooked up the multimeter and started cranking on my 5k pot and sure enough the volts went up haha. O well, now I know how to do it perfectly and which "test point" not to check haha. Well time to start cranking on this 1900+. Gotta hit 2ghz on this bugger. Yea watch me kill this chip to, make my night haha.

When the tip of the multimeter lead touched the test point #1 everything shut off and the board fried. Whats so funny was, i didnt have to check test point #1, #2 worked just fine. I guess I "got greedy?" over checking the voltages? haha.

And why isn't it mentioned in the guide? :-/

Scary.

I've killed two ASUS A7V266-E/AA boards, and about thirty ASUS A7N8X-Deluxe 2.0 BIOS chips (each one requiring a nerve-racking hot-flash), so I know how you feel bro.

After reading a couple posts about no post and no beep codes, i was wondering, maybe i could do a hot flash on this board.

Can someone direct me to a link with directions? My friend just got a nf7-s so i was going to use his bios chip.

What do you guys think? I mean it turns on just like it regularly would, just no post or beep codes. Also this maybe a sign. I have a ASUS 9800XT and (while the board was functional) if i dont have the molex connected plugged in it comes up with an error and a beep code. I tried without the molex connector plugged in and i didnt get any code whatsoever.

Thanks guys.

Have you tried a different psu? It sounds like you might have made something in the psu go 'pop' if what you say about the graphics card is true...

I don't think its the psu as the computer turns on but nothing up on the screen and no beeps or beep codes. Ill be testing the board out tonight with a different psu. I hope it works otherwise ill be ordering a new NF7-S on monday. Unless you guys have any other board recommendations. Ive been hearing alot about them topping out around 220 and mine topped out @ 223. When I purchased this board I was hoping to crank out 240 with vdd mod and extra cooling. Im kind of dissapointed but all I want right now is for that rig to be back up. Finally have all top quality parts and I kill the mobo haha go figure.

So touching the mosfet-looking check point killed it? The one on the upper side of the board?

I think I did the same thing...touched that with a multimeter and it killed the board.

I fried my first NF7-S the same way... I keep telling people ONLY TO CHECK ON THE SOLDER POINT! What happened w/ me was I had FINISHED checking both points but forgot what the 1.yyX digit was on the other point, so I put the multimeter back in there (had a bad feeling at the time too... telling me "get that outa there your done!")... then spark... then after 3 seconds power off. Now it will turn on for about 2 seconds, then shuts off. And my new one dosn't overclock at all as well. :( it stinks.

These forums just saved me 90bux on a new NF7-S!!!

I am about to do the VDD pencil mod!

THANK GOD I CHECKED THE FORUMS FIRST!

One thing though, how do i check voltages at that checkpoint?

(I thought i was supposed to stick the multimeter stix on those two points specified, but now that i read this thread i guess not! :eek: )

So how am i supposed to test the checkpoint?

edit: I vote for a sticky, people NEED to see this!

This thread is old, but worthy of being bumped back to the top. Can't have people frying boards, it sucks. :-/

Blackjackel - you put the positive lead on the solder point, and the negative lead to ground - your case or something. You probably already figured it out, but hey. :D

Yeah, this post should definitely be kept at the top. I just fried my mobo a few days ago while doing a similar thing, it really sucks.

shouldnt fry if you dont cross the legs of the mosfet youre checking. i use this check point all the time. altho i believe its pretty irrelevant as the solder pad seems to be more accurate.
what i did is went ahead and soldered some leads to my vdd and vcore voltage check points. then those leads all come back to a molex conn i modded which is glued to the I/O jacks at the top of the board. very easy to check voltages now.

Back