• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Older Chip, Need Advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PCTech

Registered
Alrighty I'm sorta new to overclocking and dont want to do anything to drastic without knowing what I CAN do with my current chip. I have read the articals about "popping" some of the L3 bridges and all that stuff. What can my MOBO and Proc Combo do?

System Info:
cpu: AMD 1900 XP (is this a t-bred or not?)
mb: AK31 (I believe a shuttle model)
ram: [1] 266mhz 512mb [2] 333mhz 256mb

Highest chip my bios will support is a 2100 XP. How can I overclock higher than 2100 if it wont bootup if it gets past 2100 on the POST screen? What MB would be best for me to get for my proc so that I can overclock it? I dont want to watercool at all. I would like to know what I can do with Aircooling. what Fans would be best?

Lots of Questions but I can't find answers any where!

Thanks,
~PCTech

It's probably a Palomino, which will limit your OC'ing compared to what you could do with a Tbred B (Tbred A's don't OC worth a damn either). Which processor is 'officially' supported is not itself going to be a limit on what OC'ing you can do. You can start by simply going into the BIOS and setting what settings are available. One extreme might be 1MHz steps from 100MHz up to 200MHz FSB. The other extreme might be only settings for 'officially' supported speeds such as 100MHz and 133Mhz. I doubt your m/b will allow you to change the multiplier, so increase the FSB and memory bus speeds is about all you can do. You might have to increase voltages to make it stable at the higher speeds as well.

You can unlock the CPU by joining the L1's and then you could up the multiplier.

It would be nice to know what stepping your CPU is.

Just ran Sandra...

Here is what Sandra said for the CPU and BIOS information!

CPU Info:
Multiplier: 12/1x (1620mhz)
Generation: G7
Revision/Step: 6/2
Stepping Mask: A5
Core Voltage Rate: 1.750

Cache Multiplier: 1/1x (1619mhz)

Bios Information:
Version: 6.0
Plug and Play V: 1.0
SMBIOS Version: 2.20
EEPROM Size: 256k (2MBit)
Date: 4/17/2002
Manufacture: Award Software International

Thats all I could find!

THanks,
~PCTech

Do you have all that memory installed? If so that stick of PC2100 is holding back your PC2700, I'd pop it out personally. Check out the OC Guides over at Overclockers Main Site it will give you some good info on how to OC and some tips on modding your Pally if you wish.

Regards, Balrog

Back