• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

no post

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Absolute Zero

this is a mobo problem and not a watercooling problem, so i'm posting here.

ok, i just hooked up my first watercooling setup, i have good flow, water temps around 16 c (it's in my very cold basement). my problem is that my a7n8x dlx rev 2.0 won't post. i thought maybe you needed a cpu fan plugged in to get it to post, but i tried one of my case fans. i took everything out, reseated it, still the same. i experienced the same problem when my heatsink had popped of the clips, but i know that the waterblock is making good contact. i think i fried a barton whenever this had happened before, so i want to make sure i get this right. i think i've checked all my jumpers, but that doesn't seem to be a problem, but i'm still not sure. i have no ide or floppy drives plugged in, so i know it's not a hardware conflicting issue.

For a case fan to work connected to the cpufan header, it must have a three wire connector. You might try attaching the PSU fan sensor lead to the cpufan header.

the case fan is one of the three wire types with the fan speed sensor. it's actually the same exact fan as the old cpu fan, just doesn't have that aerocool sticker on it.

The case fan isn't the problem. I've got my Tt Smart Fan II (on my SK-7, my sig's outdated) hooked up to a fan controller (all my mobo headers are empty) with no problems. Has it ever booted before or is this first boot?

If it isn't the first boot then I think you got BIOS death. It's a known issue with the A7N8X that the BIOS will simply randomly die and get corrupted. If this is the case then your bios is pretty much hosed and you should RMA the board or get a new bios chip from http://www.badflash.com . Here's a list of some ways to possibly recover:
http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15104

This happened on my Rev. 1.04 non-deluxe, and the nice folks at a local computer shop swapped it out for my 2.0.

Graphic67 said:
For a case fan to work connected to the cpufan header, it must have a three wire connector. You might try attaching the PSU fan sensor lead to the cpufan header.

Hmm.. I have my tornado plugged in, and its only one wire. it should be fine, as long it has atleast the fan speed.

Single wire connections are used to supply the motherboard with rpm data when the fan draws too much power for the motherboard or when a separate fan controller is in use.

Two wire connections only supply power and do not give the motherboard rpm data.

Three wire connections supply power to the fan and rpm data to the motherboard.

guys, it's not the fans or a corrupted bios. i put the old hsf on it, and it worked. it's just when the waterblock is on that it won't post. at all.

Back