• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

differences between abit mobs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JustinGB

Registered
what's the diff between nf7-s and nf7-m? the only diffrence i see is that nf7 m has an onboard geforce 4, i originally planned to get an nf7-s, but if for $1 more i can get a free onboard gforce, why not? please let me know!

the NF7-S is the flagship board or the NF7 series. It is the most popular overclocking board as well so you might want to take that into consideration.

There is not point in the NF7-M because integrated graphics typically means there is no AGP slot which a vital thing for modern motherboards to have. Plus integrated graphics are poor quality and mostly for people who dont intend to do any gameing what so ever.

Trust me the NF7-S is the best motherboard to get or if you dont mind ASUS the A7N8X-E Deluxe is the next best, but i believe a little more pricey.

NF7-S has SoundStorm, IEEE1394, and SATA. It does not have onboard video. NF7-M has none of that but onboard video. If you can live without those 3 features, and, you're ok with sharing RAM for video, and you want to do no gaming, the NF7-M is for you. Otherwise, go for the NF7-S and get a real video card.

You'd be better off getting a NF7-S, and a cheap video card and waiting to get a real one, if you can't afford a good card. Plus, I don't think the NF7-M supports 400mhz FSB processors.

I would avoid the onboard video because it is likely to be a trickier overclocker, due to the extra heat and hardware that it needs. It is a good safety net if you have an agp card, but a better bet is to keep an old pci vid card around should disaster strike. I picked up an 8mb ati pci card for like $12 newegg refurb'd. When I toasted my first radeon it saved the day and allowed me to keep use of my PC. I also hear it is useful for bios flashes gone wrong, vid drivers gone wrong, and testing for agp failure. even if you are not a gamer I would recommend at least a 64mb ddr agp card, if for nothing less than to allow you to reach a better, more stable overclock without your ram being cannibalized. Sometimes a feature like tv out or in is nice too, and most every vid card these days has one or the other.

Back