• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Strange Network Problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ZachM

I have a basic NF7 and I was using the on-board network card. The problem started when a friend transfered a file to me and there was an error in copying the file. It said acess denied or something along those lines. The problem is now when I use the on-board NIC I get constant CPU usage spikes from 1% to 60%. It just alternates every couple of seconds or so. I thought it was my overclocking that was causing it at first, so I downclocked, and there were still spikes. I also tried re-installing my chipset drivers to no avail. So what do you guys think is going on? I disabled the on-board NIC for now and I'm using a PCI one.

Thanks for your time.

I seem to recall that the spiking problem was resolved in one of the NV2 driver updates. The NV2 driver file from the Abit site is woefully behing the times. Both MWarhead and Morpheus have custom mixes available that address among other things the spiking NIC problem. Do a google search on their name and NV2 driver. That yould point you towards them, otherwise someone else reading this may know the url already.

EDIT
Here's a link to the Morpheus remix, which I am using. MWarhead has his own web page, which is easily found on Google.

Hoot

Ok, I installed the remix drivers you posted a link to here. The NIC works fine now. BTW, the drivers I was using before were the latest off the Nvidia site. The 3.13, so I don't know why my NIC did that.

One question about the hard drive shut off and back on problem. From my understanding, instead of restarting normally, you shut down, wait a second, and turn the computer back on? That will keep the hard drive from restarting itself right?

Sorry to take so long getting back to you. I've not noticed any issue with my Raptors using those drivers. I'm not sure what to expect to hear, like a slamming sound when the heads retract upon power down or what? They just make a light click upon shutdown.

Hoot

Hehe. I actually switched back to the 3.13s now. After I installed the remix drivers I got a corrupted boot loader. To fix it my only choice was to format. I think the NIC problems were caused by me installing the Nforce drivers off the Abit CD first. I needed drivers to DL the new drivers so I didn't have a choice. I didn't know about driver cleaner then so I just used the normal uninstall method before installing the new ones. I think parts of the old drivers weren't erased causing the spiking. Anyways the 3.13s are working fine for me now, and I don't want to risk another corruption by installing the remixes.

Back