• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus A7V8X-X Temp sensors, where are they ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

atconc

Registered
My mobo has 2 temp sensors, I've always assumed that they're case and cpu, but it occured to me recently that the one I thought was case temp is consistantly up around 40 C, when the room is no where near that temp. This lead me on to thinking that I've had no temp drop on that sensor when I've moved from a cheapo case with a home mod 80mm side intake and no exhaust (single fan psu) to a new Antec superLANBoy with 120mm in and 120mm out and a dual fan psu. So I'm thinking that the sensor isn't actually case temp. Also my other comp reads case temp around 18-19 c which seems more likely.

So as a further test I've been running with my side pannel off all morning and there has been absolutely no change in that temperature reading. (Cpu temp has dropped 2 degrees though).

So what is that second reading? Northbridge temp maybe?

The System temp actually represents the chipset. It can be somewhat innacurate (+/- 2 degrees C) but it gives you a fair depiction of where you're at. If you're hitting around 40C, you have somewhat of a problem. The chipset running that hot will cause an instability in virtually everything, so it would be worth every penny to go buy a chipset sink with a fan. It's a shame Asus didn't put one on a KT400 chipset by stock, but I'm actually using a watercooler so I wasn't sad about throwing out a little heatsink like that.

Back