• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A7v600 Fsb

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stamasd

A7V600 FSB

Does anyone know of a program which allows changing the FSB from within Windows and which works on the Asus A7V600? I've tried CPUCool/CPUFSB, and it freezes the computer (of course after selecting the correct PLL chip).

I have a locked CPU, and now with the new unlocking method http://www.cpuheat.wz.cz/html/AXP_multiplier/AXP_Multiplier.htm I can adjust the multiplier after getting into Windows, but to overclock it properly I'd like to be able to change the FSB as well. Because I'm locked at boot at a high multiplier, I can't go much over 166 FSB. My goal is to lower the multiplier after I'm booted then bump the FSB up to 200 or so. But no FSB utility I've found so far works...

ummm why not just chage your fsb in the bios like all the rest of us. you never posted what cpu you have? maby it wont oc anyway? either its a good overclocker or it aint. that software stuff is ussless when youv got a good motherboard.

Because it's a Thorton with the multiplier locked at 12.5x. I can change the multiplier, but only after Windows boots (at POST time it's locked like I said at 12.5x). My goal is to run it on a 200 MHz FSB. However, with the locked multi that means 2500 MHz at boot, which I know it won't do. That's why I want to boot at 166x12.5, then in Windows change the multi to 10 or 11 then the FSB to 200.

The CPU itself can do a max 2300 MHz at 1.85-1.9V, but not on the A7V600 because that means a 184 MHz FSB, and without a PCI/AGP lock that gives a PCI frequency of 37 MHz and an AGP of 74 MHz, which my other components won't take. If I had a way to change the FSB in software, the multiplier lock of the AMD chips would become absolutely meaningless. Plus it'd be extra cool, to be able to change both multipliers and FSB from Windows. :)

It would also mean very good news for us A7V600 users, since we wouldn't care anymore if we buy locked CPUs (and in fact would save us a few bucks, since almost everywhere you're charged extra for an unlocked CPU). The new method of unlocking doesn't work on nForce2 boards, at least not yet.

Last edited:
PCI/AGP lock that gives a PCI frequency of 37 MHz and an AGP of 74 MHz, which my other components won't take

you know iuse to run my a7v8x @ 190 fsb with no problems whatsoever. i had a video card crap out after a long time but i dont think it was related to the fsb overclocking.

My hard drive is SCSI, and my SCSI card balks at anything above 35 MHz. That's why for me it must be either 166 (174 max), or 200. At 200 the 1/6 divider kicks in, and everything's fine again. Otherwise I get a "chip could not initialise" error and cannot boot.

Last edited:
It's not about the unlocked Barton (I already have one - bought it just before the first locked ones started to appear, back in September). It's about the challenge. :) Make the CPU do what the manufacturer wants to prevent you doing.

I bought this locked Thorton on purpose, to try and find a way to unlock it. I wasn't the one to find it, but when it appeared I was one of the first to mod the chip and test it.

Now all that's missing is a way to change the FSB in software on Via mobos, and the circle is complete.

*bump*

Come on, nobody with the A7V600 ever tried to change the FSB in software?

Back