• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

nf7 and nf7-s difference?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DaRky4YoU

whats the difference, is the nf7-s better overclockable, hence the 25 bux more price??

can som1 explain me

thx

The NF7-S v2 is definitely a better overclocker. I do not know if the plain NF7 has a v2 (which allows 200+ fsb). You are also paying a little extra for the SATA ports (hence the -S designator).

does this nf7-s have a v2?

nForce 2 Chipset (K7), FSB333, Dual DDR400,
AGP 8X, Serial ATA, IEEE1394, USB2.0
SoftMenu™ ABIT Engineered

Overview:
The NF7 series models, based on nForce2 chipset, supports the latest AMD Athlon XP processors with 200/266/333 FSB, and features new dual 400MHz DDR memory controllers that deliver up to a 50% increase in bandwidth. Three DDR DIMM slots support up to 3GB of DDR memory, and optimized 128-bit architecture reduces memory latency. The advanced memory architecture means that the latest 3D games and multimedia applications are able to run smoother and faster than ever before, giving you unparalleled system performance. With the nForce2 MCP2-T, the APU (Audio Processing Unit) delivers Dolby Digital 5.1 cinematic-quality sound and 3D positional audio to your home PC. By SoundstormTM technology, the NF7-S supports Real-time audio encoding delivering up to 256 simultaneous audio streams makes games and applications come to life. With cutting-edge features and ABIT Engineering, the NF7 series is the ultimate multimedia platform for the world.

Features
AGP 8X
AGP 3.0 8X spec supports high performance graphics processing at a peak bandwidth of 2.1 GB/s.
Serial ATA 150
Serial ATA is an evolutionary replacement for the Parallel ATA storage interface. This new high-speed interface burst data transfer rate up to 150 Mbytes/sec and more flexible power tolerances, cables can be smaller and more efficient
Dual DDR 400
Dual DDR combines the power of DDR400 with two 64-bit independent memory controllers, the 128-bit memory controller integrated on chip provides up to 6.4 GB/sec bandwidth for system memory, and gives you highest performance and cost-effective platform.
5bit FID (Frequency ID)
By ABIT 5-bits FID Override technology, users can get variety of CPU over-clocking sets.
ABIT CPU H.T.P (Hardware Thermal Protection)
ABIT CPU H.T.P. uses pure hardware detection, which not like others use software detection to prevent CPU overheating. ABIT CPU H.T.P provides more reliable result for customers?investment.
ABIT SoftMenu™
The overclocking function includes CPU frequency, Vcore, multiplier, chipset & DDR voltage and AGP VDDQ voltage adjustment available to maximize your system performance.
SoundStorm™ Technology
Real-time Dolby Digital 5.1 audio encoding delivering up to 256 simultaneous audio streams
6-Channel Audio and Optical S/PDIF Out
Lets you enjoy 6-channel audio without having to buy advanced sound cards.

Specifications:

CPU Ready for AMD400FSB Processors Supports AMD-K7 / Athlon / Athlon XP /Barton FSB 200/266/333MHz FSB Processors Chipset NVIDIA nForce™2 C18D chipset with MCP-T Supports Advanced Configuration and Power Management Interface (ACPI) Accelerated Graphics Port connector supports AGP 8X/4X (0.8V/1.5V) Memory Three 184-pin DIMM sockets Supports 3 DIMM DDR 200/266/333 (Max. 3 GB) Supports 2 DIMM DDR 400 (Max. 2 GB) Serial ATA150 RAID On board SATA 150 PCI Controller Support 2 ports SATA 150 RAID 0/1 Audio 6-Channel AC 97 CODEC on board Professional digital audio interface supports optical S/PDIF Out NVIDIA SoundStorm with real-time Dolby Digital 5.1 encoder IEEE 1394 Supports IEEE 1394a at 100/200/400 Mb/s transfer rate LAN On board 10/100M LAN Physical layer interface ABIT Engineered ABIT SoftMenu™ Technology ABIT MaxFID™ Technology ABIT SERILLEL™ ABIT CPU ThermalGuard™ Internal I/O Connectors 1 x AGP8X/4X, 5 x PCI slots 1 x Floppy Port supports up to 2.88MB 2 x Ultra DMA 33/66/100/133 Connectors 2 x SATA 150 Connectors 2 x USB 2.0 headers, 2 x IEEE1394 header 2 x CD-IN 1 x IrDA Back Panel I/O 1 x PS/2 Keyboard, 1 x PS/2 mouse 2 x Serial, 1 x Parallel 1 x S/PDIF Out port Audio connectors (Front Speaker, Line-in, Mic-in, Center/Sub, Surround Speaker) 2 x USB 2.0, 1 x RJ-45 LAN Connector Miscellaneous ATX form factor Hardware monitoring - Including Fan speeds, Voltages, System environment temperature

110,00 euro

Besides features, there is absolutely no difference between the NF7 and the NF7-S
Posted by Graphic67
I do not know if the plain NF7 has a v2

The plain NF7 sure does have a Rev 2 version, since I have one in my comp :)

Anyway, the main difference between the two boards is the fact that the NF7-S has SATA, Soundstorm audio, and onboard Firewire support. Other than that, they are the exact same boards, with the exact same overclocking potential.

Posted by DaRkY4YoU
what are sata ports

SATA ports are used for the new Serial ATA hard drive standard. SATA allows more theoretical bandwidth, and allows users to use smaller cables to allow for better airflow.

Also, that board you listed should be a Rev 2 board, since it lists support for the 400FSB processors. However, the way it is written has me a little skeptical. Instead of listing the 400FSB support with the 333/266/200, they put it seperately. It should be a Rev 2 though.

Graphic67 said:
The NF7-S v2 is definitely a better overclocker. I do not know if the plain NF7 has a v2 (which allows 200+ fsb). You are also paying a little extra for the SATA ports (hence the -S designator).

Im curious where you got your information from as far as the overclocking goes. My NF7 is running 230fsb dual channel, cpu interface inabled at low ram timing. Im sure it can go higher, but havent tried yet. From everything I have read,there has been no proof that the NF7-S it the better overclocker. It just seem to be the popular opinion because that the one more people are buying.

Or maybe Im just the exception to the rule and have a exceptional NF7. Or I might just be dead wrong and need to read more. ;) In anycase I am genuinely curious how you have come to the conclusion that the NF&-S is the better overclocker. :)

Last edited:
I have to admit that I was repeating what I had gathered as the popular opinion on the boards and possibly allowing some of the bad overclocing reports about the NF7-M to color my view of the plain NF7. Sorry.

Hey dont be sorry. I wasnt criticizing you or anything. :beer: I have just been noticing that people have been saying that the NF7 doesnt OC as well, or acting like its a subpar board compared to the NF7-S. Im just curious why they think this.

I would assume that the NF7-M might not OC as well because of the onboard video, but I really dont know. I think its safe to say any board that starts with NF7 and is version 2 is a good choice. ;)

the nf7-m doesn't have a v2 the nf7 and nf7-s do....they are both awsome overclockers.....the s stands for sata and soundstorm......it also come with a packaged firewire that fits in the back pci slot on your case :)......from what I heard the nf7 sound = sb Live 5.1 and the nf7-s sound = audigy2 sound........the one thing either aint got which I would love to have is the COOL BEANS FRONT PANEL THAT COMES WITH THE AUDIGY 2 PLATNIUM X :D........;).......droool more nifty buttons hehe :)

Back