• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help understanding KT7A SoftBios OCing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dogbit

I have an ABit KT7A MB with a 750 Duron and I'm attempting to OC it some. I have read were some have gotten this combo up to 933MHz and better, but I'm at a loss on a few things and need some answers please.
In the KT7A Bios I'm at:

CPU user defined

Multiplier X7.5 - - - - - - - - - - - - - ->this is the default setting

CPU FSB/PCI-Clock 115/38MHz - - - - ->default is 100/33MHz
the system will not boot above this setting

CPU FSB Plus 0 - - - ->What is this setting for??

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -CPU Power Supply- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Core Voltage 1.600v - - - - - - - - - ->this is the default setting
I/O voltage 3.40v - - - - - - - - - - - ->this is the default setting

The default settings are when a 750MHz CPU is selected. At the setting of: CPU FSB/PCI-Clock 115/38MHz
I'm at 864MHz using the 750 Duron and PC133 Ram, Dragon Copper Orb HS temp @33c

Could someone enlighten me as to how someone can get this CPU up into the 900 plus MHz's, and could anyone tell me what the CPU FSB Plus setting is for?

This is one link I saw:

www.amdpower.com/sections.php4?op=viewarticle&artid=32

Thanks for any light you can place on this for me.

Alrighty here are a couple of answers for ya.

CPU -> If you are feeling adventurous you can try the old 'pencil-in' the bridges trick to unlock the multipliers on the duron. This way you could run it at 9x100Mhz to get closer to your goal. Don't quote me on this but I now that Athlons around that speed range use the L1 bridges. Check out the CPU section for some more info.

FSB -> By default any duron/athlon under 1gig will run at a FSB of 100. The 1gig Athlon (although there was a 100mhz version) was the first proc to run at 133.

Probably one of the reasons it wont boot at 115/38mhz is the speed of the PCI bus. By default it wants to run at 33mhz and has very little tolerance for overclocks.

FSB plus -> I believe this will allow you to nudge your FSB higher independent of anything else. You can get a few more mhz outta your rig by using it.

Voltages -> These are something you might have to increase or decrease to get your system running stable. You will probably need to adjust your core or cpu voltage and feed your hunger proc the juice it needs. I know that when running stock I can bump down the core a couple of notches and still run fine(1gig on KT7A-RAID).

Hope this helps and hope you get your 900+ goal. I know its just about time for me to unlock my athlon and see if I can't get some more life out this awesome board. Not that it skimps now that I stuck a 9800 pro in it. :D

Here is another quick Primer, http://www.extremeoverclocking.com/reviews/motherboards/KT7A-RAID_1.html

Definitely read Paul's site linked above. Still a great place to find info for the KT7A.

You'll want to use a pencil to close the L1 bridges on the CPU. This will allow you to drop the multiplier, and raise the frontside bus. You really need to get to the next divisor (133/33).

Raising the CPU voltage will help you get more speed out of it. But you'll start to run hot though, so you'll need to get some good cooling.
Raising the I/O voltage is good for overclocking the frontside bus, and can help you run the memory with fast timings. I usually set mine for 3.6 volts. This has allowed me to get up to 150 MHz FSB (and a little higher).
The CPU FSB plus allows you to bump the FSB up one MHz at a time. So if the next CPU FSB/PCI CLOCK setting is a little too high, but you think there is still one or two MHz left in your combination, you can add one MHz there.

Welcome To The Forums!!!!!

.....and to the addiction:eek:

Duron 750

Multiplier = 7.5
FSB = 100MHz
Clockspeed = 750MHz

To Increase or DECREASE the Multiplier you will need to Unlock the L1 Bridges, read about it on the above links.

CPU FSB /PCI CLOCK = Decides which dividers to use with a combination of added FSB clocks.

CPU FSB PLUS = You can increase the FSB by 1MHz at a time. Initialy this was thought to be able to increase the FSB without increasing the PCI or AGP speeds but it is not the case.

If you dont plan to unlock set the CPU FSB /PCI CLOCK to 100/33 & increase the FSB via the CPU FSB PLUS when your ready to overclock. What this does is to start you off with the default 100MHz FSB & use the 3:2:1 option.

If you do want to unlock then drop the Multiplier to 5.5X then set the CPU FSB /PCI CLOCK to 133/33 & increase the FSB via the CPU FSB PLUS when your ready to overclock. What this does is to start you off with a default 133MHz FSB to match the 5.5X to stay close to your original clockspeed & use the 4:2:1 option to keep the PCI & AGP at default speeds.

CPU Voltage = You will need to increase this when you overclock. More speed needs more power & makes more heat which means you need good cooling. The links above will have very good information in choosing a better HSF.

DRAM CLOCK = This deals with running your Memory in either Synchronous or Asynchronous mode;

HCLK + PCICLK = When you have a 100MHz/200FSB CPU with 133MHz Memory

HOSTCLK = When you have either
  • 133MHz/266FSB CPU with 133MHz Memory
  • 100MHz/200FSB CPU with 100MHz Memory

As you can see all of these settings need to be changed when overclocking.

Back