• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

mobo problem?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

skybreaker

Registered
i just build my 2nd computer today..
and i move one of my harddrive (slave) and exchange the dvdrom to dvd/cdrw

now the bios dectect IDE drive very very slow.. it would take about 5 mins to detect and boost up (only matter of secs before)

I dont know what's going on.. very confused and frustrating.. It beeps and everything but detected IDEdrives very slowly and wont ever load on windowscreen

any help?

i just remove the jumper from the harddrive (from master to single) and it loads window xp now.. but very slow process..

please help

Hard to troubleshoot this. Certain drives, like Maxtor, have one setting for Master/Single. Others, like Western Digital, have a separate setting for Master and Single. Then there is the whole Cable Select issue, about which I know nothing.

This could be cables. Pull them off and reinsert them on the drives and motherboard. Sometimes that fixes the problem. Just remove everything except the boot drive (pull the IDE and power cables from the others), set that as Single if necessary, and see how that boots. Then add stuff back one at a time.

Something else that may work is resetting your bios to the defaults. Sometimes that has fixed a problem for me. Then when I go and reset all the bios settings the problem doesn't reoccur. Very odd but that's computers.

It could also be a driver issue. I've fixed problems like this by upgrading the drivers, both VIA and nForce. And, I've fixed them by DOWNGRADING drives from the Via/nForce to the ones supplied by Microsoft.

My best advice is to start with the one drive and add them one by one and you might find you have no problem at all.

dgk said:
Hard to troubleshoot this. Certain drives, like Maxtor, have one setting for Master/Single. Others, like Western Digital, have a separate setting for Master and Single. Then there is the whole Cable Select issue, about which I know nothing.

This could be cables. Pull them off and reinsert them on the drives and motherboard. Sometimes that fixes the problem. Just remove everything except the boot drive (pull the IDE and power cables from the others), set that as Single if necessary, and see how that boots. Then add stuff back one at a time.

Something else that may work is resetting your bios to the defaults. Sometimes that has fixed a problem for me. Then when I go and reset all the bios settings the problem doesn't reoccur. Very odd but that's computers.

It could also be a driver issue. I've fixed problems like this by upgrading the drivers, both VIA and nForce. And, I've fixed them by DOWNGRADING drives from the Via/nForce to the ones supplied by Microsoft.

My best advice is to start with the one drive and add them one by one and you might find you have no problem at all.

i pulled out the cables and reinserted them.. it helps for the booting (back to normal speed) but still loading windows very slowly.. and everything was very laggy in window as well.. fps was like 10/sec... I found this very odd as well.. I think its just conflicting drives for the system looking for missing drives and such..

I re-format windows anyways.. see if it'll help... not sure

Back