• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Teach me NF7 language.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Foxie3a

Normal Member
I've decided to buy an NF7 in place of my P4 willy. I'll probably get a DLT3C, or maybe a 2500 that's unlocked. But that doesn't matter.

I wantto know what different versions there are of the NF67, and what each one does.

Also, how many slots are there for RAM in there that I can use for single channel mode? And how many pairs can I have in dual mode?

any other little things I might not have caught onto yet about this board?

thanks again..

and you can suggest one, I'll be using my 8500 for now, so no GF4 crap. The integrated sound would be nice if it would beat my SB16 I think it is that I have. I only have 2.1 speakers, probably ewon't get better either.

Thanks

Main differences:
NF7 is basic. (unsure if it has sound storm... can someone else help me out on that?)
NF7-S has serial ATA
NF7-M has onboard video and serial ATA

There are version 2.0s and 1.2s (i think). 2.0s are better overclockers. Make sure you get a 2.0 (excaliberPC.com is where I got my current one).

There are three memory slots. Only a max of 2 can be used in dual channel.

Going further with what Death said, the NF7 is basically the economy model. It doesnt come with Soundstorm, or any of the other features exclusive the the NF7-S. Moving up, there is the NF7-M. This board is the equivelent of the Epox 8RGA, since it has the onboard video (I dont know if these boards were ever made with a 2.0 Rev or not). Moving to the top, we have the NF7-S. This board comes with the onboard Soundstorm audio that everyone raves about. It also comes with integrated SATA RAID, and integrated support for Firewire.

If you have the cash, by all means go for the NF7-S. If you dont want to spend as much, hit the NF7. Both will overclock about the same.

Note: If you have a heatsink/waterblock that uses the mounting holes, make sure to use plastic washers. That drove me crazy for 5 hours the day I got it :)

NF7 -S it is.

They have the same video because its on the chipset.

Does anyone know the specs of this soundstorm? I have the manual but it doesn't talk about the max sample rate it can handle.

Dual RAM

There are three memory slots. Only a max of 2 can be used in dual channel.

I think that you can use all 3 slots for dual, as long as they are the same brand, and slot 1 + slot 2 = Slot 3. Example: 2x 256 memory in one and two, and a 512 in slot 3 I think will run in dual as 1 gig.

E

DUAL CHANNEL is only 2 sticks of paired memory... and they're placed in slots 1 and 3 it will then post in the post screen running dual channel. The mb uses both memory sticks together with seperate memory controllers to increase Bandwidth. Some say between 7%-16%

so there arn't two pairs that you can use for DualDDR.. :(

sounds good.

can anyone get me the max sample rate the sandstorm can handle?

DeathONator said:
Main differences:
NF7 is basic. (unsure if it has sound storm... can someone else help me out on that?)
NF7-S has serial ATA
NF7-M has onboard video and serial ATA

NF7-M's dont have SATA

NF7-S's also have firwire, SATA RAID and better sound

Well i got an NF7 setup yesterday and am running two totally different sticks of RAM in slot 2 and 3 and get dual channel.
One stick is Crucial PC2100 dual bank, other one is Kingston PC3200 single bank, both are 256MB sticks. I was amazed at the crucial, it passed 6 hours of memtest at 205MHz and 2.5,3,3,11 timings at 2.8v (2.86v reading from MBM5) This board is awesome in its speed. I think my rig with a Tbird 1400 at 1.33 (205x6.5, for now) runs faster than my KT266A board w/ the XP at 2.1GHz

Back