• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mb Via Kt600 Abit| Kv7

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AngelDust

Registered
I just bought this motherboard and need some info on overclocking what I have.

AMD 1900 XP with thermaltake Volcano 6
512 DDR 2700
Asus GeF4 Ti 4600 128 with all copper heatsink upgrade
power supply = 450w

Use the dividers to keep your PCI bus as close to 33mhz, and AGP at 66mhz as possible. If they get too far off, you can mess up your video card, and corrupt your hard drive. But otherwise, just increase your FSB and change the multiplier.

On my NF7-S, I run a 220mhz FSB, and lower the multiplier because my processor doesn't overclock well, but my memory does. You probably won't want to use 220mhz, but 200, because 220 with any dividers will take your PCI bus out of spec a bit. 233 might work if you can get there. If you can, exchange your board for a NF7 or NF7-S. They have PCI locks so you don't need to worry about that.

Welcome To The Forums!!!!!

.....and to the addiction:eek:

You will need to update your cooling with something more robust, refer to the links above for a list of more capable coolers.

The memory you have will hold you back in terms of FSB. The board has a functioning 1/6 divisor or whats generaly refered to as the 6:2:1 option that will allow you to run the FSB up to 200MHz/400FSB with the AGP & PCI within spec. This is where VIA & NVidia go in their seperate directions. With VIA chipsets you can go beyond the default BUS speeds of 33MHz for PCI & 66MHz for AGP & see increased performance. Point in fact is that I have a KD7 RAID with only a 5:2:1 option & I can increase the performance of the whole system & still have stability with insane PCI & AGP bus speeds.

3DMark 2001SE B330

Memory.gif

Here is a KV7 with proper memory & know how in setting up;

ABIT KV7

OC-1.jpg

Hey Sonny, haven't seen you in a while!

You've got me beat, but it's close. Sandra has me at 3101/2881 @213 MHz FSB.

Angel Dust, there is no need to exchange your motherboard for an NF7. I am still using an 8K3A+ (KT333), and since it only has a 1/5 divisor, my AGP/PCI busses are at 85/42 MHz respectively. And everything works great. So imagine what you can do with the superior KT600 and a 1/6 divisor!

Nforce chipsets are strong performers, and the NF7 is obviously a great motherboard. But it has resulted in a lot of people running around and saying that Via are no good because they don't have an AGP/PCI lock.
This simply isn't true.

There was life before locked AGP/PCI busses. Some hardware is more tolerant of out of spec PCI/AGP than others. My understanding is that Radeon cards are picky about the AGP bus, at least relative to Nvidia.

But with a 1/6 divisor, you'll be able to achieve very high speeds while keeping everything in spec, much less what you can achieve by pushing the envelope a little. 230 divided by 6 = 38.3, or a 38 MHz PCI. I seriously doubt you'll have any problems with any hardware at that speed.

Hey Repo Man11,

Been doing racing online so Ive been out of the hardware scene for a bit.

Both chipsets are good & the NF2 has a lot of gain only because its been around longer & has had more development dont on it. Just ask the first group of buyers that bought it & ask them how they like it;)

I have some doubt on the Radeons having problems with high AGP BUS Speeds since that review of the KV7 I posted, KT600 round up, was done with a Hercules Radeon 9800 Pro 128Mb. I think its more to BUS Speeds than originaly thought of, it could be a mismatch of driving values & architecture that may have caused this incompatibility.

ok now I have one more question.
My cpu is a Amd Athlon Palomino 1900 many say I have to mod it to overclock it. Is this true or am I ok. And if so what do i need to do? or how? And thx for your very helpfull post!

correction---> my ram is 256 of DDR 2100 my stick of 512 DDR 2700 is on its way{friend mailed it 3 days ago i think its corsair}

Getting a Barton 2500 ,antec ps, and 512 DDR 3200 in march :D

You won't have to modify your Palomino to overclock it. It is multiplier locked, which means that you won't be able to change the multiplier. But you will be able to increase the FSB. the default multiplier on a 1900 is low enough where you'll probably be able to get all of the potential out of the chip without unlocking it. Once you have some good memory anyway.

The easy days of unlocked AMD's seems to be over, at least for now. The 2500 you have planned will almost certainly be locked as well. But with good memory, you won't need to worry. Just crank up the FSB. High FSB, good memory, good cooling, that thing will fly!

Thanks thats great i was hoping to up the fsb. (wasnt gunna oc cpu intill i get the new cpu)

You have to understand that ClockSpeed is a function of FSB X Multiplier Figure so;

133.33 X 12 = 1600MHz

When you raise the FSB;

166.66 X 12 = 2000GHz

AFAIK there are no XP1900 Palominos that will clock to 2GHz without realy good cooling. You will need to unlock & drop the Multiplier to not raise your ClockSpeed;

166.66 X 9.5 = 1600MHz

:beer:

Sonny's correct, to get the full potential out of your board and the Palomino CPU, you will have to unlock it.
Here is a guide, http://www.ocforums.com/vb/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=66470

And you might want to read this sticky on AMD CPU's, http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=190168

Unlocking Palomino's is a little troublesome. If I were you, I'd just increase the FSB as much as possible (166 may not be doable, but you should have many steps between 166 and 133) and sit tight until you get the 2500+. But that's just me. That would also depend on just how long it's going to be before you get the 2500.
Something like 150x12= 1800. That would give you a 38 MHz PCI. You'll probably already be running hot at 1.8 with a Palomino.

A Barton 2500 has a multiplier of 11. 11x166= 1833. You'll have plenty of headroom to push it without unlocking it.

Last edited:
yeah it may be better to just wait till i get the 2500plus i need to get a better cpu fan/heatsink anyway. maybe water cooling?lately ive been working on ocing my vid card. got it up to 325/751.:) but only got 11125 on 3dmark. tryin to get 13s oh well i'll keep trying.

thx for all the help guys if i do try to over clock my 1900 ill be back in here ttyl

Well after reading and watching how to unlock my 1900 i have decided to unlock it (only because my freind is sending me another 1900 XP Pal for free). if i dont **** it up i'll post my benchmarks here, wish me luck .

With a spare chip, (for free!) you can't go wrong. It may be easier than it looks to unlock one, I've never tried. I had a 1600 Palomino in this board for quite a while. Its multiplier was low enough that I was able to run it around the 170 FSB range to a little over 1.8. That was all my Thermalright AX7 and the fairly quiet fan I had on it could handle. Then I bought the Tbred I have now, and it was unlocked.

Only CPU's I've ever unlocked were old Durons, and that only took a pencil.

So have at it, good luck, and let us know how it goes.

i think i have a problem i just ran sandra and it said my pc temp was too high @ 52c and my cpu temp is normal @41c . this is at idle after playing Raven Shield :R6 game. i have 3 fans one pointed at cpu from the side, one in back of case,and one in front.do i need to get a 3.5 drive bay fan to help or is my temp ok?

Update: i found those r normal temps but i still cant find temp limits on my 1900 is it 70c?

my temps under full load is [email protected] and system@54c

Last edited:
FYI, I'm unschooled on which processors are locked vs unlocked, by my Tbred B 2200+ (not modded) has no problems with multiplier changes on the KV7. Is it the KV7 that is unlocking the cpu, or is my cpu already unlocked from the factory?

Back