• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

VA-503+ old school mobo problems?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Blimpie

Registered
I recently got a VA-503+ mother board, i think made by FIC, and am having a few problems with it. There are MANY jumper settings, not sure what some of them do. I have an AMD K6-2 350 processor in it. I got it to boot once, i was then adjusting the fsb frequency, got distracted had to leave the board with a few jumpers off to go do something. When i returned, i thought i had all the jumpers back in, and tried booting the board. I did forget to replace a jumper, its the CLK4 jumper. I cannot find anywhere on the board what this jumper does. I have tried doing research on the board to see what it does, and have come up with nothing. Now, after trying to boot without that jumper, i get nothing. No beeps, no video, nothing. I have tried about every jumper setting i can think of, cannot get it togo.
As for the jumpers on the board there are
FREQ1, FREQ2, FREQ3 == These set the P55C M2/K6. not sure what this is, settings anywhere from "2X" to "5.5X" (its currently set at "3.5X")
SDRAM1, == sets memory frequency, AGP or CPU are options (currently set at "CPU")
SDRAM2, SDRAM3 == sets system frequency, from "2X" to "3.5X" (currently set at "3.5X")
SRAM == sets for "intel burst" or "linear burst" (currently set at "intel burst")
CLK1, CLK2, CLK3 == set fsb speed, anywhere from "66.5M" to "124M" (currently set at "100M")
CLK4 == this is the one i dont know what it does, no labeling on the board for it (currently set on "2-3")
Then there is the core voltage jumpers, anywhere from 2.0V to 3.2V, (currently set at "2.2V")

I have tired 66Mhz SIMM ram, 66Mhz DIMM ram, 133Mhz DIMM ram, all PCI slots, and the AGP slot for video cards, and cannot get a peep out of it. The processor does start to get warm after being on, and there is NO bios battery installed. I am booting with no HDD or FDD's connected, and no MOUSE or Keyboard. It was this exact way the first time i tried it and it worked, but now nothing

Does it seem as if i have the settings correct and the board is toast from trying to boot with no CLK4 jumper in? Or do i have a setting wrong? Is the BIOS chip corrupted? Should i try to get a flash, and try to flash with no video?

Sorry for the long post, i would just like to try to get this machine up and running. Thanks in advance!!!

Blimpie

I've heard that those were a jumper nightmare. But they were supposed to be one ofthe better Super 7 motherboards.
Fortunately FIC still supports it. Take a look here for BIOS, manual, and FAQ's.

I think if you read the information there, you'll be able to figure out the problem. You have to learn to enjoy a challenge! Good luck.

Very useful page here: http://www.caprok.net/dave/

This was the first board I ever bought, and I have yet to see anything I detest as much. I'd get one thing fixed and have problems elsewhere. Had I been able to RMA it I might have gotten a good board, but the store I got it from refused to help me at all and I ended up having to live with it. These are really picky with memory btw - still haven't found the ideal DIMM that would let FSB run at 112 without some issues.

Jumper nightmare about describes it though - changing FSB took a while. Despite the board's problems I was able to run a K6-2 400 at 504 for a long time though - sorta made it worth it though it took forever to stabilize.

IIRC, CLK4 and SDRAM 1 operate together to set DRAM speed. They need to be set opposite to each other to work. More info at the site I linked to above.

My sister has one of these in her comp (grandad gave her). I upgraded the CPU to a 550mhz (which I guess is only supported in some on certain revisions). Since the upgrade (upgraded memory and HDD as wells) some times it boots other times it dosn't. I need to try the 350mhz CPU it had in there before to see if that's the problem but I guess I'm just to lazy to mess w/ those damned jumpers.

DeathONator said:
some times it boots other times it dosn't.

Most likely memory - you could try switching CLK4 and SDRAM1 around to run memory at AGP speed, and if that fixes it the board is throwing fits at the memory. I came close to breaking the thing in half at times I was so irritated at the thing's memory issues.

Also try updating the bios to revision je4333 - the latest released. Though FIC will tell you that BIOS is for board revision 1.2a only, it'll work on all revisions. It's also necessary for K62+ and K63+ support.

Well, i cant flash the bios, i get absolutely no video, no beeps, nothing. I did go to fic's website, set up the board per their instructions, still nothing. I am thinking it has something to do with the ram slots. Even if i leave the computer on for a while the ram is dead beat cold.
I dont know what to do now. I think its dead.

Back