• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question on 6 Channel Sound...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cold Heater

OK, I built my little brother a computer with a Biostar M7NCG 400 (nForce 2 IGP chipset). It says that it has the 6 channel AC97 codec on every piece of documentation I've seen on the mobo. However, there's only the three standard plugs on the MB.

Does anyone know if I need to buy an adaptor or something (like on some Asus boards). I haven't been able to find anything on Biostar's site.

I believe each port is stereo(ie two channels). Therefore, you would have front left/right, rear left right, and center/sub. If your speakers don't accept that type of connection or you want all six you can go to Radio-shaft and pick up a splitter to get each individual channel. Probably run ya a couple bucks a doodad.

Or it might use the SPDIF (digital out) connector. In that cause you would need speakers or an amp that accepts the digitally encoded signal.

But I tell you what, the biostar manual seriously bites the green weenie. I looked at there site and all I can say is whoa. :p

Last edited:
I have one of those mobos, but haven't used sound yet.

I do believe, however, that the front and rear are the standard outputs and the microphone plug is for the center channel.

Of course, you can't use a mic when using 6 channel audio....:)

Back