• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

219fsb limit on NF7-Sv2 v20 and v21 bios? or??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

neveriwas

Registered
I am getting a strange problem with an NF7-Sv2 board. It can reach 219fsb without a problem, but if I go even one step to 220 it wont post. Actually, it seems the video wont come up as it seems to beep once properly and has hd activity as if it was going to load windows.

I am using ultra low latency pc3200 DDR and it handles a full 6/6 ratio when I have the FSB running at 219mhz, 11-3-2-2 with no errors.

Idle CPU temp is 36C under load it is 42C. Both the NB and the SB chips have better HSF's attached to them and the MOSFETs are not overheating.

I have tried 4 different video cards one on pci with the same results.

Any idea as to what might be going on?

Well I have the same problem just got my board does 225fsb with cpu interface enabled, 11x225 with my 2100 and I couldn't get it to 227 no matter what I changed but I havn't done the vdd mod or vddim yet so I dont know what she will give after I'am done. P.S. bios 10 are the best for overclocking IMO but I like the 20's and not sure if the data coruption thingy has been fixed yet.

I just don't get it. It's behavior acts like there is a 219 fsb cap. I have all the hardware needed to go higher and yet it doesn't.

I just don't get it. It's behavior acts like there is a 219 fsb cap. I have all the hardware needed to go higher and yet it doesn't.

I'm building my 3rd rig with the NF7-S rev 2.0 board. And every one of them has different capabilities. I'm sure most all boards are like this to some extent. But in my experience and reading all the posts here by various people, I think this particular board is much more peculiar than most. I had one board that would do only 200 no matter what I tried (had to rma it though), and I have one now that will do 225 with ease. Also some of them seam to be much more voltage sensitive than others. One board would only take 1.825 vcore and no more. And these comparisons are using the exact same hardware. So in short, they are all good boards, some are just exceptional boards.

Well, I have check all of my voltages, heat ranges, and all of the normal stuff. Nothing indicates that it is struggling to reach 219 fsb. No above average heat, no memory errors even using dual ddr at 11-3-2-2 timings, no undervolting, and the power supply seems to be doing it's job well too. I have even bought another cpu but a 2600+ using the 11.5 multiplier. Knowing both cpus are locked, the board detects 11 or 11.5 and changes it accordingly, but on neither can I go above 219 fsb.

I almost want to say that there has been some sort of built in limitation put into the board or the batch of boards that this one happened to come from. What I am going to do next is try different bios flashings from 10 on up to see if there is a difference or not.

Other than that, I have two more NF7-Sv2's coming in, in the next two weeks. I suppose I can find out then if I get any different results.

My friend just called me (he is the one I built this system for) and he said that he just got some new speakers and when he let the computer boot up (no video) at 220fsb he was able to hear the welcome to windows xp sound! Prevously we were only able to hear the single boot beep from the case speaker, we could only speculate that it might be working after all, but the video wasn't initialising. :eek: !

Previously we tried everything from an old voodoo banshee card, an all-in-wonder pro card, then a geforce 2 mx400 (pci), and finaly the Geforce FX 5600 Ultra card that was intended for this system. Even then we couldn't determine if it was a video issue or not at the time.... until now?

Could there be some glitch with high fsb's possibly not initialising video? Is this unheard of?

Have you tried adjusting the VGA voltage settings in the BIOS.

I too have noticed a problem with BIOS 21, It wont POST higher than 200 on my board. I used to run it at 210 before (@1.7v very nicely). and would POST at 220 (or more I think at higher voltages), but since I've upgraded from BIOS 19 to 21, I've lost POST at over 200.

One thing I have noticed, although the BIOS is showing 1.75volts (I think), MBM only reports 1.66. Whether or not they've monkeyed around with the BIOS voltage control, or not, I don't know...?

BTW, I'm thinking or guessing cos I'm killing time @ work... :¬)}

------------------------------------
Edit: BTW, Data corruption was fixed in BIOS 14, There's a bit in the PCI timings, that should be set 30uS or 1ms if the 30uS don't work...

HI,
I was in the same boat, have the same board, cpu, memory is corsair xms3200 cas 2.
Relaxed ram timings like 11-3-3-2.5, cpu at 1.85 volts, vdd 1.7 ram 2.9

Barton AQZEA 0338 LOCKED, 219fsb was all it would do. If i tried 220fsb it would lock at second boot screen. 217fsb was stable for me so that is where i was stuck for the longest time. I had given up on trying and was excepting the fact that I had a low clocker board and cpu.

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread....threadid=258675

Read this post, it has a modded d1.0 bios for the nf7 and I flashed back via flashmenu. I also flas twice just for safe measure. When it ask if you want to reboot just say no and flash again.

I ran at 231fsb, ram 11-3-3-2.5 last night and did a madion bench. Also a sandra burn in for over an hour at that setting. Vcore is 1.95 which is way to high for me but i had to give it a try.

Don't know what it is about this bois but it worked for me. Also you can only flash back to that bios using Flashmenu via windows from what I have read.

Hope you find this helpful, I know it was for me.

Later
RGP

PS The 231fsb was in dual channel on the ram as well.

Today we tried all video cards with all different voltages except the pci card. No luck.

When I get back from the weekend (Tuesday) I will be trying the different bioses from 10-19 starting from 19 and i'll record the details here. BTW, we are currently at bios mod21.

Last edited:
RGP, flashing to d10 from d21, will that screw up the board? I have been hearing different stories

Hi neveriwas,

I have read where people got in to problems trying to flash back using dos but if you use the windows Flashmenu, latest version is 1.32 I think. Then there seems to be no problem with the reverse flash. I am having no problems after I flashed 2 days ago and system is very stable. I'm not using sata, just ide but this bios has allowed me to get past that damn 219fsb limit and in dual channel.

I don't have a link for the Flashmenu down load but I think you can get the latest version from ABIT's web page.

Later
RGP

I have gotten both from links on this board. I can't remember where though.

Back