• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS A7N8X over 200mhz FSB?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RavenOsU

Registered
Hey, I'm thinkin of buying an A7N8X and I want to know if I can go above 200mhz (400mhz DDR) FSB with it. Well Can I ?

If you are curious, im wanting to OC my Barton 2600+ from 333mhz FSB to about 430-440 mhz

Asus is the juice, My locked pos 2500 is at 408 right now...all i want to do is hit 433 so i can 1:1 my ram at max.

My A7N8X rev 1.04 will not run anything past 205 stable. I can get into windows at 220 @ 2.5 - 4 - 4 - 11 but it just isnt stable no matter what, although I doubt its my ram, it could be.

RavenOsU said:
Hey, I'm thinkin of buying an A7N8X and I want to know if I can go above 200mhz (400mhz DDR) FSB with it. Well Can I ?

If you are curious, im wanting to OC my Barton 2600+ from 333mhz FSB to about 430-440 mhz

Absolutly, if you get a revision 2 pcb, and everything else is up to it, that range should not be difficult. The rev 2 boards are guaranteed to run 400mhz, so 430 isn't even a 10% overclock. I have a a7n8x-e (all e boards are rev 2), and it gave my memory all it could handle out of the box. 218 fsb, memtest, prime 95, 3d mark all stable.

That is with year+ old, unmatched, 2x 256 corsair xms pc 3200 running at 2.8v 11,4,3,2. And my default chipset voltage is low, it varies from 1.555 and 1.565. In process of fixing both of those and I am anxious to see where I can go from there.

Where you would lose to abit and some others is vcore tops at 1.85v, chipset default at ~1.6v (need mod to change it), and vdimm tops at 2.8v. Abit has higher options for all and can change the chipset voltage out of the box.

So the question is, do you need higher voltages and do you like/can you do mods? Most likely you will need mods to get over 440mhz.

Abit nf7-s is cheaper too, so that's another thing to think about.

I have the 2.0 version that supports 400mhz, but It seems that I need higher voltage to get my overclock stable at 210mhz. I get various errors in XP pro and crashes running games. Also I get a couple memory errors, even after upping the ram voltage. My OC is perfect at 200fsb. Im running a barton 2600+ @ 11.5x200=2300. I do not want to risk any mods for I dont have the cash to get a replacement if i screw up.
Guess Im stuck with 11.5x200 =|

Im running at 200 X 10, Im gonna try a 2.5 with some more Vcore, im only at 1.70 right now, so I should have some more to go.

I have gotten my system to boot at a 220 (440mhz) FSB, but everything else isn't stable.

I am running @ a 210x11.5 right now, @ 1.725 vcore, and all is well and stable.

I can run @ 200x11 at 1.65vcore, with everything extremely stable

2500+ unlocked.

As of now, I found out without the peltier, and or water cooling, and replacing heatsinks on the bridge, and a whole slew of other things, I am not getting past 205.

It locks in games, and loads of fun. It could just be my video card, which has been OC'ed to the max I think.

Anyways, I am going to run prime95 tonight, see if I am stable at 2200 mhz, then tomorrow I would try to hit up 2400 mhz, and look into volt mods for the mobo, so eventually I can hit, say 2.8 ghz.

The key here is having memory to support where you want to go. I bought PC3200 memory to OC my 2500 Barton to 3200. I can go as high at 208 X 10, but it is unstable (P95 failure). I am very stable at 200 X 11 and that's what my memory is rated (400Mhz).

Memory is the critical component you will need to invest to get higher speeds with stability. Of course you are looking at $300 easy to get high performance stuff at 1G memory.

Get GEiL 3500 golden dragon dual channel Low latency ****. It rules..220$ for a gb at newegg.

I'm having problems getting past 204.. sigh.
I assumed it was my power supply or i needed more raw voltage.

Overall I'm impressed with my A7N8X-E Deluxe. I have a locked 2500+ Barton running at 200x11 at all stock voltages. I haven't pushed it beyond 200Mhz simply because I don't want to risk breaking the chip.

- Jim

Bringing past 400 wont break the chip, if powered good(stable rails) and cooled properly.

Hell, the old T-bred were rated at 266, and some of those are pushing 400 mhz, thats good in my book.

I might try to sell my ASUS and try to find a decent ABit somewhere.

Whenever I went past 200 fsb I would get errors in MemTest 86, test #5. At 200 I get zero errors. I think I need more vdimm to get it any higher. The uber bios' have the option to raise it to 2.9v.

Just curious ... especially for those of you with an FSB over 200 ... have you used MemTest 86 to check your ram for errors? Was it error free (I run all 7-tests ... for 5-full passes)?

Last edited:
Wow...very impressive. What is your vdimm (ddr voltage) set to?

I would be curious to know how your machine does in memtest 86 tests (especially that pesky test #5). I ran all 7-default-tests for 5-passes.

I have loaded windows at 225, and I cant show proof but i have gotten 233 out of it loaded into windows, but it was a one time thing, and since i updated my bious can no longer reach that. I will look for a wincpuid screeny...

I have a rev 1.04

Edit: I found my screeny of the 233.8 (467MHz) a7n8x boot into windows. No volt mods, and no uber bios (which doesnt work anyways) Let me host the picture somewhere and i will post it. gimme 5 mintues.

466.bmp

Edit: I have no proof that this is from my A7N8X, but i would not lie, so just trust me. And remember, this is not stable, just the highest i could boot into windows with. The only other option in the bios at the time was 240MHz, my bios got corrupted when i tried that, so i reflashed, and did not try 240 again.

Last edited:
I believe you, my problem with my rev 1 was always getting 3d apps to work over 195, or 210 after vdd mod. Prime was always stable higher than that.

I didn't bother pushing it higher because I wanted those 3d games to work, and i didn't feel like corrupting the bios.

Back