• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

venture into the unknown

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Absolute Zero

ok, this would be my first watercooling rig. ever since i switched to it, however, i haven't been able to take my cpu past it's stock speed of 2ghz. i can do everything below it and up to it (such as my current 210 x 9.5), but nothing past it. i get that "system failed due to cpu overclocking" no matter the voltage. i've taken this guy up to 2.4ghz, i know it can do it. any ideas?

Austin PSUs are not very powerful even though yours is a 450watt, given the components in your rig I think you're probably straining its capability. What are PSU specs, amps per rail and 3.3V + 5.0V wattage?

Regards, Balrog

i've been thinking that may actually be holding me back. my 5 volt rail under load is at most 4.9v, and my 3.3v is 3.1 - guess that's it. thanks, i was getting a little irate. what should i get? remember, my computer case has more square footage than my house (translation - i'm poor).

but wait a second, i've already hit 2.4 ghz before with this same setup excluding the watercooling. why would this time be different and i get the "system failed due to cpu overclocking" message?

Last edited:
I know I ask this alot to different people, but have you set the bios to halt on no errors and turned off the speach post reporter?

I've never had this problem, but a while ago it was what everyone said to do when the rev 1.x boards started talking to you about X error and obviously didn't know what it was talking about.

Maybe it doesn't work so well anymore, I don't know, but it's easy and so probobly worth the try.:)

I know I ask this alot to different people, but have you set the bios to halt on no errors and turned off the speach post reporter?

yup.

looks like any combination under the stock speed works. what happens is, i set the speed higher than stock, save the settings, and it reboots, but never really reboots. i have to cut power, then start again, and then its in the cpu "safe mode" of a stock 1800+.

please smart people of the world, help me!

sounds like a BIOS problem, that a lot of the other boards have too, I would buy a second BIOS-eeprom chip just in case.

You will have to disable the |halt on all errors| option in the BIOS, but if it doesn't save correctly and you have to reset the pc because it doesn't boot up, it will never go into effectively setting the bios.

one of these days resetting the pc isn't going to do you any good either. Maybe try to flash to another bios version, maybe try the next older step.....

Back