• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question about FSB while O'Cing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KChan

Registered
Hi,
I just bought some GEIL DDRAM 512 PC3200 RAM, so I decided to overclock my 1700XP TB with 200*10, but it keeps crashing, before I had a stick of Crucial 256 PC2100 with 166*12, and the system for very stable, no crashes. MY question is it crashing because my motherboard is 333mhz FSB, so the max I can set the FSB while overclocking is 166? Or am I wrong?...Also I'm planning to get a 2500XP Barton doing 200*11 would this be a good idea with this mobo and ram?...My specs are,

AMD 1700XP TB @ 1992 (166*12)
Asus A7N8X Deluxe 1004 Bios (this is not the revision 2.0 board)
Volcano 7+ cooling
GEIL DDRAM 512 PC3200 RAM
hmm lets see windows 2000

Sorry my knowledge on oc'ing is narrow but,

CPU Vcore is set to 1.6V
DDR Reference Voltrage is set to 2.6V
Memory Timings are
7,3,3,2 Aggresive Mode, but it also crashes in optimal mode which is 2.5 6-3-3

I don't see why he has to change RAM timings and vdimm to run the RAM at its stock speeds. @ 200 FSB the RAM should not be the problem.

What is your cooling setup (ie case fans, heatsink and fan or whatever) and system temperatures?

What are the disadvantages of changing the volts?

My cooling is pretty good 2 Thermaltake Smart Fans + a Van Tech Stealth + the power cooling fans- for the case temps it's always under 51F for mb temps.

For the CPU I have a tt volcano 7+ thats 89F

Have you run Memtest on the new sticks to see if you're getting errors, there have been some bad sticks of Geil floating around.

Regards, Balrog

I past the memtest, so nothing is wrong with it.

Last edited:
Balrog and disk11 thx for the help sp far btw, could you tell me what Vcore is exactly? I just want to know exactly what I am doing before I do it.

VCore is the setting in BIOS that controls how much voltage is sent to your CPU. Depending on the version of your XP1700+ it will run at different default voltages. I have a XP1700+ DUT3C, the U in the code indicates that it defaults at 1.60V, the DLT3C model defaults at 1.50V and is highly sought after as the lower default voltage allows it to overclock much higher. I believe there is also an M version that is somewhere in between. How many cycles of Memtest did you run?

Regards, Balrog

ah ic, I just treid, 1.625v, 1.65v, 1.725v, and 1.75v but it was still unstable, defaault was 1.60... I memtested 5 times it took over an hour, all passes.

Last edited:
It looks to me that the problem is your Rev 1.0 board, I know many people have had to mod these to get them to run 200FSB. Set your multi to 9X and FSB to 166, VCore to 1.725, memory to Expert, Aggressive CPU interface 100%\Sync 11-3-3-2.5 timings and 2.7V. Then start to raise your FSB by 5, testing each time with Memtest and some Prime or Sandra, keep raising by 5 and testing until you get errors. Then let us know how far you got and we'll see if we can come up with some more tweaks to get you a bit higher.

Regards, Balrog

yeah I was afraid if might be that my mobo is rev1,...well I planning to upgrade soon anyway - might as well upgrade the mobo...

Did you try posting this in the Asus section as more people with this board may see it. Also try www.nforcershq.com forums. If you decide you want to upgrade and don't need SATA, RAID or Soundstorm, I use a Shuttle AN35N Ultra ($55.00) currently running at 220FSB X 10 w\XP1700+ & 2 x256mb Buffalo\Winbond PC3200, come on over to the Shuttle section if you want more info and opinions.

Regards, Balrog

Yeah I've been to there, but I thought I would get a better response here because it was a oc'ing question -- shuttle is that good? I was thinking about abit nf7s --

Back