• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

chipset voltage and temps?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dubtek

Registered
I am wondering when are you supposed to raise your chipset voltage and what the max temp for your chipset should be?

and while I'm asking...I ordered a vantec iceberq when I ordered my nexus and as5 well I opened it with the intention of putting it on my northbridge and to my suprise it is a exact replica of my abit northbridge fan/hs...I mean it looks EXACTLY alike but its purple and says vantec? is it even worth pulling my motherboard out to install this thing?

Last edited:
I'd like to know also. I might be having some chipset voltage related troubles.

From what I understand the Vantec is copper versus the stock aluminum cooler which makes a difference to start. When it comes to chipset I use a passive Zalman and have no problems at my speeds so I think anything with a fan would work fine. Mine is at 1.7v but I do have good airflow in my case btw.

Bump this thread back into action.

I would like to know what temps you guys are getting on the chipset as well. Also, if there is any documentation on what the max temp is on the chipset.

im running mine at 1.6v at 229fsb and it never gets over 40c with a passive zalman nbj47. i do have airflow around it however.

i would first try to up the agp voltage to 1.6v before upping nb i heard this has made some people gain stability.

Last edited:
The Vantec Iceberq comes in two versions, an aluminum one and a copper one. Your purple version is the aluminum one, I think. The copper version is, well, copper-colored. The design is pretty much the same as the stock cooler, but IIRC the vantec fans don't have the nasty tendency of dying that the stock ones do. If you want a substantial performance boost, I'd advise returning the Vantec and getting an NB-1 (WHY did they discontinue the NB-1C?! Makes no sense!), or maybe one of Swiftech's NB coolers. Or you could do what I did and make one out of an old Socket 7 sink.

As for voltage, the rule of thumb is not to increase it if you have the stock cooler. One more word of advice: The NB chip is nowhere near flat. You'll need a fairly thick layer of thermal grease or some sandpaper if you're going to upgrade the sink. Always check for good contact before you power up the board.

I don't think the NB-1 will fit into my case because of my watercooling setup. That's why I was going to go with the Vantec Iceberq. Just ran Prime for a while and temps were at max 37C. That's with a temp probe jammed in there a little ways, so I'm guessing 40-45C under load are my temps. It's the hottest thing in my computer!! weird.

Back