• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

7n400-l1 voltage

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Avg

Is the voltage shown in the bios just the highest voltage my psu can take or is it the mobo's limit, and I also want to know if the mobo's limiting it, is there anyway to get higher voltages.

Avg, not sure dude. b more specific bout what voltage reading you'r refering to.

When you get into your BIOS press Ctrl+F1 and the "hidden" BIOS options will be visible. You'l then be able to adjust your VCore by +5%,+7.5%,+10% / your VDimm by +0.1v, +0.2v / and some on your AGP voltage too (sorry can't remember exactly how much control you'l have over these)

Hope this helps :D

The voltage shown in the BIOS will be what it actually is at the time, ie if it says 12v= 11.98v then that means you are geting 11.98v on your 12v rail.
Hood

What I mean is the cpu voltage only goes up to 1.85v daes that mean that if I get a new psu that i'll be alble to get higher voltages or that is all the mobo will support.

Thanks

Avg,
A new psu will not give you higher cpu voltages.
It is a property of the mb design and will never be higher than the 1.85v.

Avg,
is the max VCore limiting your overclock or are you just curious?
also, what PSU do you have now?

though a better PSU WON'T give you a higher VCore, it may make the VCore more stable at 1.85v, which in turn could net you a higher overclock.

DaFanMan is right, I have emailed Gigabyte many times requesting additional voltage options in future BIOS releases and they keep telling me it's a hardware restiction and can not be remedied with a new BIOS.

TicTac actually tried adding a +0.3v VDimm option in BIOS by modding it, but found the board reverted back to a +0.1v setting because the hardware wasn't capable of a higher setting :(

right now I'm just curious but i'm expecting a xp2100+ soon and wanted to see how much i'll be able to push it. The psu came with the case so it's not the best thing out there.

nope waiting to get it, I ordered the thing like 2 weeks ago and they claimed that I didn't include the card number so then I called them and asked to cancel that order and ordered another one, it's been five days and I haven't received the tracking number, so I expect to get it next week if not I'll order it from another place.

Avg,
A couple of things bro...

To get good FSB out of the 2100 I think you'll have to do a L12 mod, I'm not experienced in overclocking or modding tho so you may need to do some research... Hood, did you have to L12 mod any of your infamous XP1700/XP1800 CPUs? :D

Also, a good PSU is definately required for overclocking. Even if it doesn't give you many additional MHz, it will keep your components more safe and stable.

3sixes has done a lot of research bout PSU's, might pay to pick his brain.

Good luck!

Rabbi, only time I had to do the wire trick was with my 2100's and the VRXP and A7N8X. Think the Gigas may need it though as I seem to remember someone with a Pro2 having to do it. With my A7N8X I soldered a switch on the underside of the mobo and could switch at will between the high and low multi range.
Hood

OOPS just read your post again Rabbi, you said L12 Mod and I replied about the L3 Mod:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
Nope never had to do the L12 Mod, did try it with a Barton on my NF7-S but it didnt really make that much of a difference, could get 245FSB with 9x multi and a max of 228 with any higher, ended up running it at11.5 x 228FSB. There were some subtle differences with the L12 Mod but not much. Think the only real significant difference the L12 made was with a Rev1.x NF7-S and the Bartons.
Hood

Hood,
apparently a lot of people with the NF7-S rev2 and other NF2 mobos are finding that TBred Bs don't like high FSB unless they hav the L12 Mod done.
I think it sets their default FSB to 333 instead of 266, and allows for a higher FSB overclock in most situations. Also, I have heard that it does little to improve a Barton CPU as it is already 333 FSB or greater.

Nice L3 mod on your A7N8X tho! :D

Rabbi, I will have to look into that, I know that the 333 bus CPUs didnt OC that great on the first NF7's until you defaulted them to 266 and saw a few people saying the opposite for the T/Breds on the later revs but it seemed to just be a hit or miss. I have never done the L12 on a T/Bred but possibly will do in the future. I have a Barton 2800 in at the moment but my Vapo is still down and I just have the standard AMD HSF (real crap) so dont want to push it. I have it running 9.5x235 on stock VCore and the temps are around the 50 deg. Should have the vapo up and running this week so I will see what this CPU can do.
Hood

Back