• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need divider help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jiggamanjb

I've been reading the forums for a while now and I have been messing around with OC'ing my system, broke it a couple times. Anyway, I just got a new video card, the FX5200 256MB AGP, and now all of my OC'ing work is screwed up. I had a Geforce2 PCI 32MB card before and had my Pally OC'ed to 150 * 11.5, which I was very happy with. I unlocked the processor not too long ago with the defogger kit, worked out well. So, I have a Gigabyte 7VRX mobo and now I can't even get my system to run that stable at a 135 FSB speed. I don't think my mobo has a divider setting, so i there anyway I can mod my mobo or the BIOS to get a divider setting that will work? I guessing that is my problem. Unless there is something else I can try to get my video card to run stable. If there is anymore info you need just ask. Thanks for all the help that you guys have been suppling to me by just reading the boards.

First please reset all bios settings and verify that your drivers are all up to date.
If that does nothing run memtest86 first, you could have ram troubles limiting your rig from doing everything
Basics, one thing at a time. Keep posting your sucesses and downfalls, or pm someone helping you for more help and to bounce ideas off of

Welcome to the forums!!

It looks as though these motherboards have issues with GF4 video cards. That probably means they do with the FX line as well. Yours may be one of the later ones, and this may not be an issue. Take a look here, http://www.thetechboard.com/troubleshooting/ga-7vrxp.php .

I once set a friend up with a cheap PCI card because the AGP card I ordered was DOA. When I got the replacement card, It would not work until I did a complete format and reinstall. That was an MSI KT3 Ultra, and a GF2. Having installed Windows XP with a PCI card, it couldn't seem to switch to AGP without causing strange problems. Even a repair install of Windows didn't solve it.

Also, PCI video cards seem to be less prone to error if the PCI bus is overclocked than AGP cards are when the AGP bus is out of spec. Then again, my GF4 4200 runs fine at 82 MHz AGP, so you should certainly be able to run 135 MHz FSB!

Thanks for the responses. Progress so far is as follows: I set my FSB back to 133 and started over. This seems to be the only stable FSB for the video card to run at. According to the link repo included, I do have the earlier board, so I don't have the new revision with the new resistor on it. I already have my Vcore at +5, I will set it to +7.5 to see if that helps at all. I did check my RAM and it checked out ok. I'm not sure about some settings in the BIOS though. What should these be set at?
AGP Fast Write - Enabled
AGP Aperture Size - 256MB
AGP Read Sync - Enabled
AGP Comp. Driving - Auto
AGP Vcore - 1.5V

I suppose there is no way to lock the AGP bus speed on my mobo also.

No, Via chipsets do not have an AGP/PCI lock. I'm not sure if it is has to do with a chipset revision, or manufacturer implementation (or both), but apparently your motherboard does not have a 1/5 divisor like my 8K3A+ (also KT333) does. That is too bad, because having everything in spec at 166 FSB leaves a lot of room for pushing your hardware.

It might be time to consider a motherboard upgrade. I'm seriously considering an Abit NF7-S myself. But a good KT600 motherboard would also be a good choice.

Yes ME, LOL
Pay attention to the bit about the drawbacks as you only have the VRX and so have no promise controller.
Hood

Just had a read through this thread and I think your problem is (as repo man11 suggested)the voltage reg prob that some of the Rev1.0 and 1.1 had.
You dont say what your PSU is so I cant say whether it might be a problem, but another possibility is that your PSU is not good enough, really the combined output of the 3.3/5v rails needs to be a min of 180W for high end graphics and this mobo.
Hood

lol at hood

Probably something I don't wanna do then I guess. The 1/5 divider only kicks in when you are at a 166 FSB right? I had HD corruption when I went up to 160 once. That wasn't fun. So there is no other way to get the 1/5 on my mobo? Is there anything I can do to my video card to help it out a little bit? Thanks again.

What brand/size PSU do you have?
Also if you do have the volt reg probs you can do one of two things, send it back to Giga to get modified or add the capacitor yourself. Lots of people soldered it themsleves and cured their probs but if you dont solder much then probably it would be best to take it to a tech.
Hood

Turbolink 350W PSU. I think I'm gonna try that volt mod. You can get that capacitor at any Radio Shack right?

Dont live in the US so cant say for sure, but it should be readily available. One word of warning though is make sure its a Tantalum capacitor that you get as a few guys have tried it with an electrolytic and it didnt work.
Hood

Do you know what other things I need to look for when I buy it? I found some other specs, here they are:

Tolerance:
Voltage:
Operating Temperature:
Dissipation Factor:
Surge Voltage:

Wondering what values those should be.

Well get this, last night I heard a loud noise from inside my case. I took the side panel off and my heatsink fan was barely moving. Turned off my comp as fast as possible, then went to turn it on again after I waited a while for it too cool off and check the fan out. Well, got nothing. No POST or anything. Checked out all my components in a known good machine and it seems my mobo and CPU aren't working. Everything else checked out. Anyone ever had something like this happen?

Sorry to hear it. I've never had anything quite like that happen. Virtually all of my hardware failures have been because of something dumb I've done.

On the bright side, it didn't take all of your hardware with it. And you now have the perfect excuse to upgrade.

I can honestly say that if I were going to buy a motherboard right now, that is the one I would buy.

I would step up to a 2500+ though. Since AMD have locked their CPU's again, you'll want one with a low multiplier. If I remember correctly, the 2500 has an 11 multiplier. that will leave you plenty of headroom for pushing the frontside bus. The 2100 has a 13 multiplier.

Unless someone has already figured out an easy way to unlock the newer Socket A's.

But aren't the 2100's unlocked? That way I could play with the multiplier on it. I believe the 2500's are locked

All of the new AMDs are locked except the FX. To get an unlocked CPU you will need pre week35 to be 100% sure, Pre week 39 to have an excellent chance of an unlocked one. Week 40,41 and 42 are mostly locked and all from 43 on are definately locked.
Hood

Another question, I bought my system from Cyberpowerinc, do you think I should check on getting a RMA? I know I can't do anything about the CPU, seeing that I unlocked it. I'm wondering about the mobo though.

Back