• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

High FSB Issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

johan851

Insatiably Malcontent, Senior Member
I recently upgraded my RAM to 2x256mb Mushkin PC3200 Level 2 (dual pack). I'm having some strange problems crashing out of intensive programs like BF1942.

The memory came up fine after a night of Memtest86 @ 230FSB, 2-2-2-11 and 2.9v, with the chipset at 1.7v. But anything above 220FSB crashes out of programs. I've done the L12 mod, I don't think that's the problem. I'm running right now at 220MHz, 2.9v, 2-2-2-11, and changing the chipset voltage (from 1.5v to 1.7v) doesn't change anything. Also, my CPU is currently undervolted for cooling reasons - it's perfectly stable though. Just at about 1.2v. Anyone have any ideas?

johan851,
what frequency are you running your CPU at?
hav you run Prime to see if your CPU is infact stable?

From what you hav said, maybe raising your VCore a bit would fix the problem... temp shouldn't b a problem, you'r water cooled aren't you?

Good luck :D

Well, I know temp shouldn't be a problem. My watercooling is down for repairs - that's why I'm running such low speed. I have to use a crappy old heatsink. Right now I'm at 220x5 = 1100mhz @ 1.2v. Temps are around 39C load. I have run Prime95 to test CPU stability, and it checks out fine at that speed (it's ok a little higher too).

I tried switching the memory to slots 1 and 3 instead of 2 and 3, but no difference.

I'm currently using BIOS 18. I tried BIOS D10, but it blue screened whenever I booted into windows.

No, pretty sure that the graphics card is stable. I didn't have this problem until I started running higher FSB's. Also, the graphics card usually artifacts when it's a tad too high - it doesn't just drop out to the desktop.

I have a feeling it might be the motherboard limiting me. Is there anything I can do about it?

Just a few ?'s

Did you try different bios?
Did you try different muilt's?
Timing's
Ram\cpu ratio's
apic enabled\disabled
vdd mod
3.3 psu mod

BH5 hav some issue with original D10 or modded by Equito

dont u smell something cooking here...???

Yeah, I've tried a couple BIOSes. I started on BIOS 18, which is where the issue started. BIOS D10 with the new SATA stuff blue screened on entering Windows XP. Gave me an NTFS error, a Win32K.sys error, etc. I flashed to D20, and the system had to revert to a backup copy of the registry, but was otherwise fine. I thought D20 was ok at 220FSB, but playing around with it today it's not. No matter what memory or chipset voltage, even 215FSB gives me trouble.

I could try the 5.5 multi to see if it does anything, but I'd rather not raise my CPU voltage if I don't have to. Would a low CPU voltage cause problems with high FSBs?

Changing APIC requires reinstalling XP, doesn't it? I thought that only really worked well on Rev 1 and Rev 1.1 anyway.

No VDD mod - I'd rather not until I get better cooling. But seeing as the results at 1.5v are the same as the results at 1.7v, I'm not sure if that's the problem.

No 3.3v PSU mod...that probably would help, although MBM5 reports my 3.3v as 3.25-3.28.

Different RAM/CPU ratios would be worth trying, such as Auto, 6/6, 5/5, etc. I'll give that a shot and get back to you.

I also have yet to change timings. Wouldn't timings limit the RAM, not the board? Like I said, the memory passes a night of Memtest86 at 230MHz 2-2-2-11 w/ 2.9v.

I've had the same problem with COD, and its basically because your mem timings are too aggressive. I'm running at 11-3-3-2 on Corsair XMS3500CPt2 because with 6-2-2-2 I would just crash to desktop or blue screen or reboot. Relaxing my timings has meant I can actually play COD rock stable, and the extremely sensitive Max Payne 2 (that really didn't like my timings - had about 25 crashes and get none whatsoever now).

I'll give that a shot, although the guy I bought this memory from ran fine at 227FSB 2-2-2-6 w/ 2.85v. I also passed a night of Memtest86 at that speed...I'd rather not loosen my timings, but I'll play around with it a little.

It also might just be a BF1942 issue - apparently there are a lot of them. I'm reinstalling that while I'm at it.

I'm can post at 9.5x230FSB but even 210x8 will crash in Prime95 (any test) after less than 5 minutes.
I've tried multipliers 8x,9.5x,10x,10.5x...

The settings I used were:

BIOS: d10 or d10beta4 by tictac (no difference in stability)
VCore: 1.8 (1.76 in EQ)
VDimm: 2.9 (2.95 in EQ)
Vdd: 1.4-1.7 (no difference)
Timings: 2-2-2-11 or 2-3-3-11 (no difference)
Load Temps: CPU 45c System 25c
APIC Disabled / Enabled (no difference)
CPU Interface Disabled / Enabled (no difference)
FSB & AGP Spectrum Disabled

My system was stable at 11x200 with:

VCore: 1.7 (1.66 in EQ)
VDimm: 2.7 (2.74 in EQ)
Vdd: 1.6
Timings: 2-2-2-11
Load Temps: CPU 45c System 25c
APIC Enabled
CPU Interface Enabled
FSB & AGP Spectrum Disabled

My 3.3v line is ~3.26-3.28 in EQ
My 12v line is ~11.80 in EQ

jonspd,
Is it likely a 3.3v mod will help my situation?

Any suggestions?

tictac said:
BH5 hav some issue with original D10 or modded by Equito

dont u smell something cooking here...???

emmm... how bout CH5 on D10 bios?

r u the guy dat carmine patermo said bout dat Hack D10 bios?

wat is really hot bout ur hack bios? i havent heard any modded bios than equito bios? do u used sata 4227 like equito modded bios?

emm i more thing.... is dat ur member title... or u really banned from this forum?

if it is ... sorry i dont suppose to ask u any question then:(

I think you can find Tic Tac over at the Abit forums if you want to get in touch with him. There might be some information over there. I'm a little nervous to try the BIOS out myself, at least until I get more information.

If anything, you should try the stock Abit BIOS 10 first. If that doesn't work with your system, then Tic Tac's won't either.

Back