• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AN35N-Ultra Memory problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chasingapple

Hey all, got this mobo last night and having alot of trouble with my 1 stick of 512MB Crucial PC2700 memory. I crashed every time running everything at stock speeds trying to get windows installed. The only way I could get the memory to work was running it in sync with the FSB @ 266mhz. My memory just wont run @ 333mhz anymore on this system but was fine on my older ECS mobo. Any thoughts here? I do have different memory coming next week (suprise with a write-up review coming) but is it RMA land for the crucial or is this board just picky with memory?

Cheers!

crucial 2700

chasingapple,

I had same problem with 1 512 stick, I have 2 and one didnt work at 166mhz in shuttle, the other I'm using now. I contacted crucial and they will rma it. my older pc runs 133fsb so thats why I didnt see that one stick was bad. Yeah just call crucial and they will rma, they have very good tech support.

Is your P4 ATX power connector plugged in. Allied 300watt PSUs aren't very strong or stable from what I've seen. Check out the Fortron 350watt PNs at NewEgg - $37.00 Some of the 512mb Crucial had problems though I thought that was long over, I ran 2 x 256mb of their PC2700 @185FSB w\6-2-2-2.5 timings with no issues. I look forward to your write-up, something new huh? What is it, come on give us a hint, come on, will ya? :D

Regards, Balrog

Yes I have both power cords plugged in, rails look fine and right where they should be so im ruling out powersupply, especially since it worked like a champ in the ECS board. I've been doing some research and others have had problems running FSB and Memory out of sync as well, there is something there for sure. I know my Crucial can take 389Mhz at 7-3-3 Cas 2.5. Im going to try to lower the Cas to 3 and see if a 200 FSB is possible. Also I think I will go ahead and max the VDimm out at 2.7v and see if that gets me there :)

Ok, I ran into Garrett Rezzonico, the Marketing Director from Patriot Memory (pdpsys.com) at CES this week (I love Vegas) and we had a nice long talk. He was very interested in my write-ups that I do here at OC.com forums and he is shipping me out a dual channel kit for evaluation. Patriot in the past has made OEM memory (generic) using all different chips from Hynix, Samsung, Micron etc... They are now trying to get into the mass market high performace arena and im going to help them kick it off :) Just wait til you see the heatspreaders they use, OH SO PRETTY! Stay tuned, I will be updating this thread with the Crucial A-Sync problem. Tonight the mass testing starts!

Cheers

Last edited:
I would love for anyone else out there to try running 1 stick (single channel) in A-Sync mode on thiers and see what happens. I would like to track this problem down and shoot it over to Shuttle ASAP. Any volenteers for a little testing?

Ok looks good so far, I did the "take the battery out trick" and all seems to be ok. Currently running 190 FSB x 11 = 2,080Mhz 1.7v rock stable. Memory @ 11-3-3-2.5 390Mhz, not bad for DDR 333 Crucial. Might try lowering some timings and lowering that vcore a little and test for stability. Cant seem to get the Crucial to 400mhz but that was to be expected. Soon the Patriot memory will be here and the lid will blow off, cant wait to see how thier new memory performs!

Success! 200 x 10.5 1.725v and memory @ 11-4-4-2.5 2.7v! I have officially reached the AMD 200Mhz FSB! I cant believe this Crucial made it. What is the max Vcore I should be worried about going over with an Athy nowadays?

i'll be your ginuea pig, tell me what to do, and i'll do it up :) As long as you have good cooling, i've seen guys volt mod theirs to 3+ volts.

lanman31337 said:
i'll be your ginuea pig, tell me what to do, and i'll do it up :) As long as you have good cooling, i've seen guys volt mod theirs to 3+ volts.

Ok, simple test. Run your CPU @ 266mhz and your memory at 333mhz and see what happens :)

May or may not help -

I've run the AN35N async w/ one stick in the following combos

CPU/RAM

200/400
200/333
266/333
266/400

RAM = Geil PC3200 "Ultra" 256MB
CPU = TBird 1.2ghz & Barton 2500+

Ran fine @ all the above settings (async was slower)

i tried it with my processor at 266 and ram at 333, as well as i did the opposite, processor at 333 and ram at 266, worked fine, but ran slow.

Back