• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

tell me what Nforce2 mobo to AVOID?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gakkuken

hi guys;

i am finally going to build another amd system for gaming, and need some suggestions on which brand or model of nforce2 mobo to AVOID as i am not sure what board to get myself.... as long as the board have good vcore, vdd, vdimm adjustments it will be fine w/ me.

the cpu will be Barton 2500 retail, and i will probably grab my kensington pc3000 hyperx to run it here.

thx people!

I think the Abit NF7-S would be the perfect fit for you. This board is the overclockers board of choice, and has a very robust selection of voltage adjustments. It's only $99.99 @ Newegg.

thx for the input bro,

do u know the difference between the nforce2 chipset name?

i see some nforce2 ultra 400?

what's the latest chipset?

There are a few differences between the different nForce2 chipsets

nForce2 400: Single Channel version of the nForce2 chipset based on the new C1 stepping. Avoid this.

nForce2 Ultra 400: Dual Channel version of the nForce2 chipset based on the new C1 stepping. This is the chipset that just about all nForce2 boards use nowadays.

nForce2 "Pre-C1": These are the older nForce2 chipsets that powered boards before the C1 stepping was introduced. Not guaranteed to hit 200FSB like the C1's are. Dual channel. Just about impossible to find retail nowadays (All early revision boards have it though)

The NF7-S falls into the nForce2 Ultra 400 category.

gakkuken said:

the cpu will be Barton 2500 retail, and i will probably grab my kensington pc3000 hyperx to run it here.

thx people!

Kensington? lol I think you mean Kingston.

I would say avoid the nf7-s but then again Id just be reflecting my own bad expierences over the past month(1 died on me and 2 different rma boards niether of which worked right, the 2nd board is on its way back to abit right now, hopefully the 3rd will work), overall it is a great board and I really liked it while it worked, but back on my reliable kt3ultra2 at the moment.

Susquehannock said:
The nf7-s used to be the top board, however, the
new DFI Ultra & LAN party boards are looking pretty good lately. :D

i bet they are some awsome boards... but they are also damn expensive....

out of those cheaper version of nforce2, which one is decent? asus have tons of different model.. just making everything even more confusing for me....

help

next to the a-bit i will reccomend
epox 8rda3+
i chose it over a-bit (i like to be a rebel LOL)
and 5 months later it is still going strong, i never OC'd any thing til i built this system, so thanks to epox and these fourms i'm learning.

Back