• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fronic

I'm really getting annoying with my mobo in terms of overclocking. It just won't do above 200 stable.

I know for a matter of fact, my cpu can do 225 fsb as tested on my Epox before it fried the bios chip.

My memory is OCZ enhanced latency w/copper heatsinks and do memtest just fine.

My PSU never gave me any problems... So it could only be the mobo...

But what about it? Everything works fine, sometimes I get static in my earphones when they are on high volume, but that's it...

I'm completely open to suggestions...

well, got some bad news for you. its the mobo, I hear it doesnt like too much going over 200, I think 220 is the max we can hit with this board.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.

It could be the mobo, but I wouldn't give up on it just yet.

If you could measure the chipset voltage and found it to be very low, well under 1.6v, then that probobly is the problem. The vdd mod could fix that, IF your comfortable doing it. Don't let me push into it, but the hot glue or grabber method is not too tough.

I'm beggining to think people are having trouble with the 266mhz chips, imparticlular. An L12 mod may do the trick.
(The logic here is that Asus sets the bios up to use more aggressive memory controller, chip interface parameters with what it expects to be a slower chip. This makes things more unstable at higher fsb, and fooling the bios to thinking you have a 333mhz or 400mhz chip may fix that. Perhaps Epox, targeting overclockers more, doesn't write their bios the same way. Of course that means the asus wins roundups comparing stock speed 266mhz processors and they endup selling more mobos to budget minded, non-overclockers who read those reviews.) I don't have any experience with that mod.

Basically there is no gurantee that a chip that works great in an epox does so in an asus, or vice versa.

You could also try the usual suspects. One stick of memory in different slots, changing where you put them both running dual. Increase memory voltage(if you're not maxed yet), relax timings etc.. Try borrowing a friends memory or cpu, if they have them and are willing;), a 333mhz chip would be ideal. If it worked then the L12 mod is almost guaranteed to work. Try bios 1004 if you haven't. Set the multiplier really low just to rule out the chip itself and that way you can check the boards ability.

Disable SATA via the jumper.

Let me know if any of this works, or not.:)

Thanks Artisan, I will give that a try today or tomorrow. The board is in a box in anti-static plastic while I'm testing my other hardware (sig).

Back