• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Amd 761

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fronic

I bough a Gygabyte dual bios board with an AMD 761 chipset. I'm wondering, does it have any overclocking features at all?

I plan to have an unlocked 1700 running at 12.5x166.

This will be a server of every type along with my entrance into Linux.

What are your thoughts on this board?

I had an Abit mobo that used the same chipset and it wasn't really a good overclocker. In general, I think the 761 chipset wasn't a great overclocker. It should be great for a server though.

So it won't do anything with an unlocked chip? I just want to run it at it's highest supported CPU rating, 2600xp, 12.5 x 166 after I unlock my chip if it has to be unlocked.

AFAIK none of the mobos with the 761 chipset has a divider. Meaning that anything over 133mhz will be overclocking your pci, ide, vga , etc. If it give you the options in the bios to up the voltages and change the fsb, you might be able to get into the mid 140's on the fsb, but its hard to say for sure. I had the Gigabyte GA7DX(I think that was it) and I could only get it to 138fsb. But that was with a locked 1600+ pally.

With the new bios, a new divider has been added that allows up to 166fsb, or up to a 2600xp, or so I've heard... Have yet to check on it.

That's pretty much as far as I got the fsb up to when I had the motherboard. There was a bios tweak guide a long time ago that allowed me to get the fsb speed a little higher, but unfortunately the webpage doesn't exist anymore.

Alright, got the board up and running. My primary hard drive is a recovered 30gig Maxtor so it was kind of scetchy at first. Seems to be running good now.

The CPU has already been overclocked to 12.5 multiplier and 133fsb, did not realize I didn't have to cut any bridges to change the multiplier which is pretty cool.

Everything was installed by Windows and the only driver I had to worry about was my video card.

So far the board has been good, but I expect to run into problems because of the hard drive and it sometimes reports bad sectors.

I'll update you guys on how my 2nd Refurbed board from Newegg goes, the first one has been a charm, although it does not go over 200fsb.

Quailane said:
Umm, I think the 761 usually only overclocks to 150-155 FSB.

I had my epox 8k7a @ 178 with crucial pc2100 back in the day. Stock northbridge cooling!

The gigabyte 761 was a pretty nice board the epox was probably the best the gigabyte coming in second and asus/abit 3rd. I have a tbred-b in one of my 8k7a's running F@H only and another 8k7a with a 700tbird as a fileserver/F@H box.

Wazer

I downloaded the latest bios but it says nowhere how to set the multiplier higher. Any suggestions?

Bumped the FSB to 140, running stable as ever.

Would I be able to use my CDROM on the Promise IDE? Also, do I have to pull my PCI cards (ethernet and firewire/usb card)?

You could change the 5th FID bit (FID[4]). That should give you access to the higher range of multis (and only the higher range). They may still be labled as the low multipliers, however. Also, AFAIK, the AMD 761 chipset does not support the 166MHz FSB. THe highest OCs I've seen here in the forums have been in the mid 150s.

Back