• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need a mobo recommendation...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PunkRawk911

I'm trying to put together a new computer for the family, and it turns out I bought a dead or messed up mobo off of ebay. It's too much trouble to RMA it, because I'm not sure if it's still under warranty. It's an Abit KX7-333 So, I'm guessing it won't be.

Anyways, I need a relaible cheap mobo for these components:
AMD Duron 1.6Ghz
256 Mb Corsair PC2100 Valueram
AGP graphics card
PCI sound card
PCI Network card
IDE Harddrive and CD-ROM drive
Must have 4 mounting holes around socket

This computer is just going to be used for internet, e-mail and word processing, so I don't really need overclocking options, although it would be nice.

Shuttle AN35N Ultra - $67 @ Newegg
Abit NF7 - $70 @ Newegg

Those two are two of the best budget nForce2 boards on the market today. The AN35N doesnt have as many overclocking options, and doesnt come with as many features as some other boards. The NF7 has great overclocking potential, and doesnt cost a whole lot either.

If you need even cheaper though, then you might want to look at the Shuttle AK39N ($54 @ Newegg). It's based on the older VIA KT400 chipset, but for your desired tasks it should more than do the job.

It all depends what you want.. you want a nice board that wil be upgradeable for future use or you want somethin gto just get you buy for a while..

you can honestly get a top notch board for $90.. or if you want just a nice performing board at low price i would go for asus A7V8X-X for 58 bucks..

if you really wnt to get cheaper than that you can email me i have a board that would be perfect for you.. It has nice features for the price. Its a asus a7v333 with raid.
supports and has:
up to xp2600+
Pc2700
Raid ATA133
USB 2.0
built in 6 channel audio

http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/socketa/a7v333/overview.htm

anyways its a great deal i never use it and been wanting to sell but dont know to who.. if you want email me and i'll tell you more about it. I just upgraded to Abit NF7-S V2.0, XP2500+ Barton...
oh yeah its under warranty stll too.
[email protected]

That Shuttle AK39N is a great board for everyday use. Very stable and easy to setup. I have built a few systems with them and used one myself for a few months. Overclocking options are limited, but for $54 its pretty good.

If you can spend the extra $14, get the NF7. Has everything you need and overclocks like a dream. Like most boards it has its Quirks, but for $70 you really cant go wrong. Plus the onboard sound is probably better that the pci soundcard you have.

If you have an AGP card Shuttle AN35N Ultra, mines running 220FSB x 10 w\ XP1700+

If you need a board with onboard graphics & Soundstorm audio Shuttle MN31N both of mine run 180FSB x 11 with Barton 2500+

Regards, Balrog

Back