• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

should you always OC w/ a gigabyte?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

waynebike

Ok im looking to see if anybody has noticed the same things i have. When i built my new system after frying my old :) i ended up goin with a GA-7N400pro2.

I realized after i installed easytune4 that the board overvolts the CPU by default, obviously causing more heat than needed. So i let my TIM settle in, burn ins and then lettings system cool off, a couple times a day for 2 days. checked my temp situation, noticed that i was at about 37C idle, and 48C load. i wasnt too pleased with these temps, considering i was running stock. So i decided to overclock, just to see what temps i would get then.

After i played around in the bios for a while, seeing what would boot and what wouldnt, i ended up stopping at 11.5x202. booted into windows, checked idle temp, WOW still the same? odd eh? checked my load temps (sanda for 30minutes) exactly the same as before.

So what im lookin for is for either somebody to agree with me and say that the heat created by the higher voltage is so much that its just begging to be OC'd. Or that im completely wrong and provide me with an explination :)

BTW im running the board above w/ XP 2700 @ 2331Mhz. PC 3200 DDR. Coolermaster Aero 7+ w/ OCZ Ultra TIM. CPUz Info here

thanks to anyone who replys :D

Unfortunately, your CPU is running hotter, its simple math. If you increase voltage or clock speed the CPU will run hotter. There is no free overclock as heat is concerned.

The reason your temps don't rise is simple, the temp sensors aren't working well. They are functioning just not well.

My gigabyte board sucks for this too, the CPU temps are 10c higher than on my old K7D master (same CPUs and HSFs), they also barely change from idle to load. Also, the case temp starts at 70c then slowly creeps down to 20c and stays there. The only sensor I can trust in my system is the one on my Seagate HDD.

well gigabyte boards read from CPU Diode, so you can expect higher temps than other boards give.

My sensors dont malfunction like yours do, and i beleive them to be realitivly accurate.

As for your explination, that makes sense, thanks for that.

I had a Giga GA7VT600 and my temps were 44-45C idle.CPU core was 1.7V when it should be 1.65V.I changed the mobo and got Abit NF7-S ver 2.0.With same HSF i have 40C idle 47C load and CPU core 1.825V (o/c'ed).

Yeah Gigabyte temp sensors r not real good. I've had three Gigabyte boards now and all of them were the same as u speak of about the temp not changing much even after overclock. in my opinion going by the stock Gigabyte temps is just as useful as not knowing the temps at all. :mad:

giga-bytes onboard temp sensors are the biggest bunch of bs i have ever seen. I wouldnt trust these things any further then i can toss em. My damn board reads a temp of 51 underload and i have a probe under the chip and that reads 42. BSBSBSBSBSBSBSBSBS Crapy sensor and overall a crap board. DONT BUY ONE. BUY a abit an-7 instead.

Peace

I agree, the on-board temp sensors read like 4-7 degrees higher then actual temp. I know because I installed a temp monitor with the wire right on the core.

What BIOS are you using? I see the Gigabyte has posted the F6, i may update if it's good?

I was using preacher's modded f14 bios for this thing till about 2 weeks ago. I was having problems with preachers making my hard drive make a clicking noise over and over again producing no post or anything. So i switched to the gigabyte f15 and all has been fine. Even though our boards have the same design and architecture mine has different bios's completly so this probobly wont help.

Prime

I'm running a 2600+ with a Aero 7+ also. I keep my blower turned down to about 2800rpm for noise reduction. Anyways that ****es me off that they overvolt. I used to be able to run my cpu at 1.5v.core. Now by default I'm at 1.75! Would different BIOS let me set this differently? Oh yeah. My temps are at 44c idle as far as easytuner goes.

Back