• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

replacing water with mercury

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EluSiOn

is it possible replacing water with mercury? It has 8.3 W·m-1·K-1 thermal conductivity which is better than water (0.6)...

so if get a big *** pump like iwaki 30 rzx that can push... would it improve cooling much better?

Thermal conductivity of other common materials:
Silver 430 W·m-1·K-1
Copper 390
Gold 320
Aluminium 236
Platinum 70
Quartz 8
Glass 1
Water 0.6
Wool 0.05

mercury itself is not toxic... but when it mix with stream/ air / water vapor it because extremely toxic..

and mercury's density is 13.6 where water is 1.... so just get a powerful pump.... it should be fine right?

The density, or viscosity, of mercury would make it very difficult for a pump to push. Also, mercury's size is pretty responsive to temperature differences - look at a thermometer. Also, since working with it would be life threatening...it's probably not a good idea.

Please not this again! The mercury horse has been beaten to an unrecognizable pulp many times in this forum. If you really want to know, search the forum. You will find a couple of huge threads with all the reasons it shoudn't be used.

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=188239&highlight=mercury

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=178661&highlight=mercury

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=201613&highlight=mercury

There are many, many more where that came from.

Last edited:
I think there was also some posts on procooling and i started a thread on gideontech about it. and i think someone said that it would cost somthing like $1100 to fill a system with it.

mercury itself is not toxic... but when it mix with stream/ air / water vapor it because extremely toxic..
this is outright untrue, :eek: :eek: mercury is deadly, whether in elementary, salt or as organomercury and besides where are you going to buy it? Its regulated and you must have valid reasons to convince the EPA.:eek: LOL

Last edited:
Specific heat capacity of mercury is terrible. It would be hard to pump, dangerous (When it mixes with air? When could THAT happen?) expensive, not a great cooler, might react with metals, umm... looks really freakin' cool...

UberBlue said:
Please not this again! The mercury horse has been beaten to an unrecognizable pulp many times in this forum. If you really want to know, search the forum. You will find a couple of huge threads with all the reasons it shoudn't be used.

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=188239&highlight=mercury

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=178661&highlight=mercury

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=201613&highlight=mercury

There are many, many more where that came from.

thx much UberBlue. Yes... tired argument... getting stupid. NOT PRACTICAL.

Totally impracticle.

Mercury is toxic in all forms.
Mercury is mutagenic as well.
Mercury is extremely high in density and viscosity (beyond hard to pump)
Mercury is electrically conductive (a spill and it's all over!)
Mercury is very expensive (I concurr on > $1000 for a setup)
Flowing Mercury can create a Magnetic Field!

Etc..........

Waterblock design is where you will be getting the improvement in temps anyways. Or, if you just HAVE to use some exotic cooling thats not water based you could buy some high end ammonia based closed loop heatpipes. They cost alot but are well over a million times safer than mercury. You have to understand...talking about filling your hoses with mercury is like talking about filling them with some botulism/cyanide/ricin/plutonium sludge that would evaporate and sink into the watertable and cause a poisonous cloud of death causing fema to close off your city and then bull doze everthing then remove the worst soil by large dump trucks then pave over the entire area and put a fence around it. Mercury, especially in that amount just shows most people you dont know what mercury really is.

I remember that at my University, they had the old CSIRAC computer, which was one of the older computers in the world.

For its main memory it used to use mercury delay lines. These were large tubes of mercury, with a pulsator at one end, and a sensor at the other. Stuff to be "stored" in memory was pulsed in at one end, and the pulses would take some time to travel to the other end, where they were sensed, and if the CPU needed the information at that time, it would use it, otherwise the information got cycled back. The computer had multiples of these lines, and they would slowly leak mercury, with the operators having to come in on a morning and "mop up" small puddles of mercury from the floor.

One of our University lecturers used to work in the room where the computer was during his younger years. He was the crankiest s.o.b. you could ever hope to meet.

When Coca Cola first came out, one of its main ingredients was Cocaine, obtained from the "coca" plant, hence the "Coke" and the "Coca" derivations of its name. Santa Clause was also never really perceived as a fat man dressed in red & white before a wildly successful 1930's Coca Cola advertising campaign.

I guess what I'm saying is that people's perceptions of the dangers of various substances changes over time, and with experience. Cocaine and mercury, which were once deemed to be not so harmful, have a completely different perception nowadays.

mercury is a metal.. yes its magnetic
but that doesn't matter
the fact that it can create a magnetic field when it moves around, in say a watercooling setup

forget everthing else,

a one foot column of mercury would have a pressure of 5.88 psi or 40561 pascals. And thats just one foot column, without any other tubing or drag or pressure loss. It would be real hard to find ANY pump that would pump that with any kinda flow rate and if you did you would need some metal tubing of good quality to hold that knida pressure.

Good point Cathar. They used to use radioactive paint on watch hands too, to make them glow in the dark. The painters would lick the tips of their brushes to make them pointier. :eek:

Then there's the stories of little kids playing in asbestos piles...

is aluminum magnetic?

I think that shoudl answer the magnetic question, what is the only materials that are magnetic?

IRON

Back