• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

overvolt protection?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pwnt by pat

ive been hearing stuff about the plastic lever'd nf7-s's have overvolt protection which causes some problems when booting with volts over 1.93 v. however, with my water chiller i was able to post at 2.3v. is the problem during booting xp or not being able to post? i cant test right now because im having some boot from cd problems and cant install an os.

thanks,
pat

I haven't heard of any overvolt protection. If there is, it just wouldn't make sense. Why have options that high, and then make the top end not work?

I have a plastic lever one, and it boots fine past 1.93v w/ my watercooled setup.

Mine has a plastic lever, and I got an alarm when I booted past 1.93 V on stock cooling (don't laugh at me, please. I'm going to buy a new HSF today.) Although, it may have been the CPU running warmer than 50, as for a while I had it set to sound the alarm at that temp, and I didn't realize it. So I don't know if it was overvolt or temp making it sound an alarm.

I would guess it's the temp. Mine wouldn't boot at higher vcores after I changed from watercooling to a wimpy little heatsink.

Back