• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why it's so hot!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kango

I got my w/c running fine but I noticed that it was hot. At 11x200 @1.65 idle was 33c. After 30minutes of Prime 95 the temp was 47c.
Here is my configuration. 1) The Via 1300 in hose and out hose of heater core are submerged in the reservoir (through tubes). 2) The out hose of pump is going to w/b in hose. 3) The out hose of w/b is going to heater core in hose. Is this the correct way? Because I didn't have enough ClearFlex 1/2" I used only 2 inches of it to connect to the in hose of the heater core and then I used the 1/2" at Oschard Supply to connect to it. The reason I did this because the 1/'2" tube of Oschard Supply didn't fit the heater core in hose. And the heater core out hose I used about 6 inches of ClearFlex to connect to it. Could these different tubes cause problem? I used some Peak Anti-freeze (10%).

-86 Chevette Heater core with pull and blow (with shroud)
-D-tek TC-4
-Via Aqua 1300
-Artic Silver 3

Two thinks to check. Such a large difference between idle and low temps suggests that the block was mounted improperly.

1. Try remounting the block

2. Make sure that your houses aren't putting uneven pressure on the block. That will cause the block to tilt slighty, and result in improper contact.

I have a 120mm fan in front of the heater core absord the hot air and push it out. In the back of heater core I have an household mini fan that almost big as 120mm. Last night when I was 2400mhz @1.825 the temp after prime95 was 53c. How much do I need to turn the yellow hand screw on the TC-4? The closer the screw toward the block the better? This is crazy. :( I need the temp down.

Kango said:
I have a 120mm fan in front of the heater core absord the hot air and push it out. In the back of heater core I have an household mini fan that almost big as 120mm. Last night when I was 2400mhz @1.825 the temp after prime95 was 53c. How much do I need to turn the yellow hand screw on the TC-4? The closer the screw toward the block the better? This is crazy. :( I need the temp down.

Two things: Yes the closer the thumb screws are to the block the better. The more force between the block and the core, the better the heat transfer will be. (Up to a point, don't break the block) but I have my d-tek block's mounts almost completely screwed down on top of the springs. Use a X pattern to tighten the block down so the force is not uneaven.

Second thing. Check the water temp, thermometer or finger, dosen't matter. If the cpu is reading hot and the water is hot, then your radiator is not doing it's job, if the cpu reads hot and the water is near room temperature, then there is a problem with the block's mount.

Good luck.

Kango said:
I got my w/c running fine but I noticed that it was hot. At 11x200 @1.65 idle was 33c. After 30minutes of Prime 95 the temp was 47c.

What is your ambient temperature? Did you notice it get warmer after 30 minutes of Prime 95 or did it stay fairly constant? As Overbrazil said it could be your heatercore not getting the airflow required to cool the water down properly.

The Via 1300 in hose and out hose of heater core are submerged in the reservoir (through tubes). 2) The out hose of pump is going to w/b in hose. 3) The out hose of w/b is going to heater core in hose. Is this the correct way?

Most people don't notice a difference between having the loop go pump>block>rad>pump/res than pump>rad>block>pump/res.

Back